Names and Pronounciation

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Names and Pronounciation

Postby Tsunami » Wed Aug 22, '07, 2:44 pm

Okay, this is something I think about every time I see one of these names; exactly how do you say them?

Nei would be a good example... I used to just assume it was said like "n-eye" but at another board someone said it was actually pronounced as "nay". If you ask me, "nay" doesn't seem suiting. Reminds me of horses, if anything... :? Only other way I can think of saying it is like "nee", which still sounds better than "nay" but it's all pretty confusing. Out of all the names, hers stumps me the most.

Lutz, I say that as "loots". Sounds kinda weird as "lutz", * here) and I think in Japanese his name is pronounced as "roots". I can't recall where I read that...

Mieu, I think of her as "mew", like a cat for some reason. :lol:

Rhys is another weird one. Thought that was "riss", though when I looked it up on a name website or two, it was pronounced as "Reese", something like that.

So if Rhys is "reese", then is Crys "creese"? Or would be be "cries"? :p Joking a little there, but I've actually thought his name would've been something similar to "Chris", maybe.

And something I've never understood, maybe someone can help me out here. How would one say Alys? "a-lees"? I don't think it's the same as "Alice".

So, what does everyone else think? Any names you think are odd or sound weird?
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 22, '07, 4:11 pm

For Nei, I use "nee." I've heard of the "nay" version before, but I really don't like that sound for a person's name or a magical word meaning power.

Lutz I pronounce literally. It's a real German name that is pronounced that way, I believe. I've read that "Lutz" was translated as "Rutz" in PS Universe. I guess "roots" might come in to play there, but it would be more like "ruts" to me.

I always pronounce Rhys as "rise." I know it's not correct, but it's a habit I've never been able to break. :oops: I think "reese" is supposed to be the proper sound; this is also a real name, in Welsh or something.

For Crys, I use Chris/Cris. On Alys I try to use "a-lees" but it comes out more like "a-leece." With Mieu I also use "mew."

How about Rika, Alis, and Myau? For Rika I use "ree-ka." With Alis I tend to use "a-leese," which comes out a lot like Alys. On Myau I sound it as "my-you."
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Wed Aug 22, '07, 8:40 pm

Lets see for me when I see Nei i consider it like nay, just because of the way ei is put out..

With Lutz its about the same thing, i just say it like luts..

Like thoul does with Rhys i also pronounce it like rise, thats just the way I see it...

Alys, now this is a weird one for me, cuz i pronounce it like allies.. i don't know why cuz i know its definetly wrong but to me shes said like allies, not anything similar to alice or somethin like that.. im a weird one i guess..

many of the other phantasy star characters names are pretty basic and simple to pronounce either way you look at em..
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Aug 23, '07, 12:54 am

Interesting topic! I've wondered at times how people pronounced them.

I always pronounced Nei as "neigh" with the long a sound.

Lutz, as "oh nuts", but with an l.

I hadn't thought about pronouncing Rhys as anything other than Rise, but with a very long i sound. I like Reese better. :up:

I do pronounce Crys "cries" because of the long i on Rhys. Maybe that's why I never liked Crys. If I follow Reese then it's.... Crease, which I don't really like. I've never thought of it as Chris, since that's my name. I guess I'm too used to the way it's spelled to consider such an alternate spelling of it!

I've pronounced both Alis and Alys as "uh-lis" with a short i sound like the name Alyssa. While working on PSI the "Alice" pronunciation occurred to me, but Alis is short for Alisa, so that didn't make sense to me to add another a.

Thoul, pronouncing both Myau and Mieu as "mew" like a cat would makes a great deal of sense! I can't believe I never thought of that one. I (surprise) drew out a long i sound in the names so that it was pronounced My-ew. I like Mew a great deal more!

How about Gryz? I've always pronounced it "Gries", but I think you could make an argument for "grease" like the way gris is pronounced in Spanish.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Thu Aug 23, '07, 2:37 am

Thoul wrote:How about Rika, Alis, and Myau? For Rika I use "ree-ka." With Alis I tend to use "a-leese," which comes out a lot like Alys. On Myau I sound it as "my-you."

Oh, forgot some! :D Seems we both say Myau the same, too

Rika, I say that with a long "I". Alis is just "Alice" to me.

The Komrade wrote:How about Gryz? I've always pronounced it "Gries", but I think you could make an argument for "grease" like the way gris is pronounced in Spanish.

:rofl: Grease...that's just classic. Gryz, I say that literally, as "griz".
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Divine Dragon » Thu Aug 23, '07, 5:30 pm

I see my pronunciations are similar to most of those here.

Rika: Ree-ka like Rita with a k, if you've watched Power Rangers, you'll know..

Gryz: Same as Tsunami, Griz.

Chaz: Well.. yeah, just as it is.. chaz.. xD;

Rune: Well that's simple, Roon.

Alys: I never thought if this as anything other than Ah-lis. The lis from list being used.

Zio: I always pronounced as Zee-oh, I guess Zigh-oh is a possibility.. zigh as in high.

LaShiec: Lah-shek. But not a hard sh, a soft one.. like you're shushing a baby..

There are loads more, for example, all the techs..

I pronounced "Regen" as Reh-gehn, for ages.. until I realised it was short for regeneration. How about "Rever" though? Could it be just the same as the rever in reverence? I think so.
Divine Dragon
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 20

Postby Atolm » Thu Aug 23, '07, 7:45 pm

For Nei's name I go by the Japanese way of saying it, which sounds like "nay".

Alys = Alice

Gryz - Griz

Zio - zigh-oh

Rhys - I also have the habit of calling him "rise"

For the most part, pretty close to everyone else here.
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Thoul » Thu Aug 23, '07, 9:44 pm

I also use Zee-oh for Zio and griz for Gryz. LaShiec is la-she-eck for me. On Rever, I use re-veer. I never thought about it being short for "reverence" or similar, though.

How about Flaeli? That's an oddly spelled one. I use "flail-elly," but I've never been sure about it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Aug 24, '07, 12:29 am

Here, From what I think, it would be like this:
Alys: Allies
Alis: Alice
Rika: Ree-ka
Nei: Nay - ee
Mieu: My- oo
Lutz: Luts (like nuts)
Gryz: Griz (Like Grizzly Bear)
Rhys: Rise
Zio: Zee - oh
Lassic: Lah - Sick (Reminds me of french for The Sick or something)
Lashiec: La - She - Ick
Rune: Roon
Hahn: Han
Demi: Dem-ee
Wren: Wren(As in Wrench)
Raja: Rah-jah
Kyra: Kigh- rah
Crys: Chris
Myau: My-you
Juza: Jew - Zah

That's all I can think of for now :D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Aug 24, '07, 1:43 am

Divine Dragon wrote:Rika: Ree-ka like Rita with a k, if you've watched Power Rangers, you'll know..
That's the way I pronounce it too.

Chaz: Well.. yeah, just as it is.. chaz.. xD;
:lol:

Zio: I always pronounced as Zee-oh
Same on that one too.

LaShiec: I pronounce that one as La sheik.

How about "Rever" though? Could it be just the same as the rever in reverence? I think so.
Yeah, like reverence.

Thoul wrote:How about Flaeli? That's an oddly spelled one. I use "flail-elly," but I've never been sure about it.
My attempt at it is "flail" with a long e sound on the end of it.

Trenzer wrote:Lassic: Lah - Sick (Reminds me of french for The Sick or something)
Indeed! :D
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Next

Return to Classic Series