Myau or not?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Is the Old Man really Myau?

Of course!
50%
No, he's a different Cat.
33%
I'm not sure?
17%

Total votes : 12

Myau or not?

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 11, '07, 9:11 pm

You might remember the Old Man from Phantasy Star IV:

He's clearly meant to be a reminder of Myau from PSI, after eat the nut and growing wings:

Do you think this is actually Myau himself or another Musk Cat that has transformed as Myau did?

This is what he says in the game:
Old Man wrote:Good of you to come, visitors. I'm the chief of this valley. Hmm, there is good in your eyes. No wonder you were let through. It's really strange... I have a feeling that this is not the first time we've met. I feel good about putting this in your care. This is a treasure that has been passed on generation after generation. Take it with you. It's the Silver Tusk!
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune Sa Riik » Wed Apr 11, '07, 10:29 pm

No, I don't think that Myau and Old Man are the same person.
First of all, I'm not sure that musk cat can live for 2000 years.
And read this carefully
This is a treasure that has been passed on generation after generation.
Actually, Silver Tusk is Silver Fang of Myau. So how it can be passed through generations if Old Man is Myau? Maybe he is Myau's descendant or something like that...
Please, excuse my terrible grammar! =)
Rune Sa Riik
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Re: Myau or not?

Postby Zafneir » Thu Apr 12, '07, 7:43 am

Then let us propose a wild theory. The Old Man himself had a telepathy ball. Only this one was better and had memories of the future, and gave Motavian lottery numbers... for events 500 years later. It also told of the Great Uncataclysm of 236X AW, when Motavia became nice and cheery again, for no reason, where people were all like, "We have food! Awesome!" and there was a massive amount of candy... and the Old Man never told a soul. :P

But seriously, what if "This is a treasure that has been passed on generation after generation" is really just a more flattering way of saying "Yeah, I looted this from a treasure chest a while back! Isn't it awesome?" :D
Zafneir
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 12

Postby Neithird » Thu Apr 12, '07, 11:13 pm

I like to think that he is Myau. There is that "generation after generation" line, but there is also "I have a feeling that this is not the first time we've met." The only person in the party that we know has met a Musk Cat before is Rune, via Lutz meeting Myau. So I think the cat is Myau, vaguely recognizing Rune's similar appearance to Lutz. :yes:

I can't really explain the 2000 years old thing or Myau appearing in the Elysdeon scene, though. I guess I'm just sentimental and want it to be Myau. 8)
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Jun 10, '07, 12:33 am

Neithird stated my feelings entirely! The statements of recognition seem to me to be a link between Noah/Lutz that would likely indicate that the Old Man recognizes someone, and therefore knew one of the previous 1000 or 2000 year characters. The hang up is definitely the Elsydeon scene, since that indicates he's dead, right?

Perhaps the creators of the game would think the players would say where's the cat?!? when they saw that scene if they'd left him out, and included him for continuity while also putting him alive in Myst Vale. I dunno. It's a quandary.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jun 11, '07, 2:44 am

The Komrade wrote:Neithird stated my feelings entirely! The statements of recognition seem to me to be a link between Noah/Lutz that would likely indicate that the Old Man recognizes someone, and therefore knew one of the previous 1000 or 2000 year characters. The hang up is definitely the Elsydeon scene, since that indicates he's dead, right?

I have to say, I totally forgot about the Elysdeon scene. That's a pretty large piece of evidence right there. o_O

It's been awhile since I've played through the game to remember details like that. *shrugs*
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 11, '07, 6:35 pm

I'm not sure the Elysdeon scene does mean Myau is definitely dead. During that sequence, there's an image of PSI's Dark Falz also. I don't think he qualifies for eternal rest with the Protectors of Algo. :wink:

I believe that sequence was more along the lines of Alis' spirit showing Chaz images to help explain the legacy of the sword to him. When Alis first appears, she has a more transparent quality than everyone (including herself) in the rest of the scene. So, maybe she was the only spirit that was actually present.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jun 12, '07, 12:06 am

Yeah, Thoul, you're right. Dark Force is present in that scene. That doesn't make it an automatic proof that everyone in that scene is dead, (PSI Dark Force is an enemy in The Edge too.) That makes me more certain in my vote that the Old Man is Myau.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jun 12, '07, 2:17 am

Then wouldn't they have showed the cast of PSIV as well? Since they're still alive and fighting for Algol. Just a thought. :idea:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Tue Jun 12, '07, 9:34 pm

That whole scene was for Chaz's (and the player's :p) benefit, to show him the people that had sacrified their lives for Algo before. If they included the whole PS4 cast, it wouldn't have had the same impact. They did show Alys, but I think that was mainly to give it more affect on Chaz.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV