My first actual video, a cover of In the Cave from PS IV!

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

My first actual video, a cover of In the Cave from PS IV!

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Jun 29, '14, 10:26 pm

I finally decided to stop being lazy and set up a camera to catch the VG music antics. The camera angle is horrible, I haven't been able to dig up the old tripod yet, but I'm getting there. I was inspired to get back to this one after hearing Mikepjr's arrangement of this theme, which has always been a favorite of mine from PS IV.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Re: My first actual video, a cover of In the Cave from PS IV

Postby augmentedfourth » Sun Jun 29, '14, 11:10 pm

Fun! I always liked this track from PSIV, I thought it was one of the more distinctive ones. And as always, I like what you've done with it in bringing out the complexities of the piece.

The former music teacher in me can't help but think that based on this limited viewpoint, you might want to lower the keyboard a little bit so you don't hurt your wrists, but hey, if it works for you, go with it! ;)
Last edited by augmentedfourth on Sun Jun 29, '14, 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby jessie » Sun Jun 29, '14, 11:35 pm

Nice!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
ImageImage
ImageImage
jessie
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 39

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Jun 30, '14, 12:57 am

Thank you both! Yes, augmentedfourth, my wrists are probably going to die horribly soon, the angle is terrible, but I don't really have another place I can put the keyboard at the moment. I need to invest in a stand, I guess. My right hand has been killing me after playing this piece for a week, ha ha.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Jun 30, '14, 2:33 am

Yeah if you can't put the keyboard any lower, you might want to try sitting a bit higher, just looking at you made my wrists hurt!

As for the original game song, I never hid the fact that I find it utterly boring. Funny enough, I can honestly say that I enjoyed what I have just heard. I don't think that it's only because you added complexity to it; it most likely helped, mind you, I think that the synths Sega picked to play it in the game just destroyed the song's potential to a point where I even refused to believe it had any.

Listening to the original right now: nope. Still no feel. Boring. Blerg.

The piano changed the feel, completely. I won't say I'm going head over heels over it; this was fun but hardly my favorite piece of yours, it still eloquently proves that a terrible choice of instruments can and will destroy a song.

So basically, you picked something I hated and turned it into something I found relatively enjoyable. This means, while I have awesome hearing, you have something more that I absolutely lack: vision. I applaud you, sir.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Jun 30, '14, 3:43 am

Thank you, man, but yeah, I have a hard time doing anything about the keyboard positioning right now. I've had an inner ear problem for about a year that makes looking down for extended periods of time really difficult and uncomfortable, and sitting up higher makes me feel really dizzy. I should probably set up my laptop so I can record in my room, I'd be able to get it lower, but I don't have any good speakers I can move back there, and headphones kill my ears. (My body is too puny to make music the way I want to, ha ha).

I personally love the way this one sounds in-game. It was one of the few really mysterious sounding pieces in PS IV. It's always interesting transferring stuff to piano, really forces you to make hard decisions about the arrangement. I actually didn't think I would be able to get a decent piano arrangement with this one, but after hearing Mikepjr's stuff I decided to look at it again. I think I more I less played it as it is in-game, but the little two-note, whole step echo thing it has going on forced me to mess around with octaves a bit, just because of the reach and the fact that it actually kind of clashes with the higher part when it switches.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Aeroprism » Mon Jun 30, '14, 3:55 am

Real shame about your situation my friend, I sincerely wish it will improve. What's wrong with your inner ear? Can you do anything to improve or at least control it?

As for the song: there you go, different people, different tastes. Makes the world a more interesting place!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby myau56 » Mon Jun 30, '14, 12:08 pm

Excellent piece of music ! Congratulations ! :) :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Jun 30, '14, 1:11 pm

So I totally agree with all the comments about your wrists. Seeing your positioning made my hands hurt too! But I realize there seems to be little you can do about it in terms of moving. However, I do have one suggestion on that front…I wonder if you could find like a keyboard wrist pad somewhere, and improvise a way to attach it to the front of the keyboard? It might give your wrists at least a little bit more support, and you won't have to aggravate your other condition. It may take some creativity, but just a thought. After all, you want to be able to keep playing keyboard, right? ;)

On the music itself…well, this isn't really my favorite track from PSIV. But your arrangement and performance here is quite good. If I had to make one criticism, I'd say the lower chord is a bit too heavy sometimes, considering the character of the original track. But otherwise, you definitely put some more character into a track I found a little on the bland side myself.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Bragatyr » Wed Jul 2, '14, 3:38 am

Thank you very much, myau and Wolf Bird. Aero, I have BPPV, or Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo, which is basically where these little structures in your inner ear called canaliths get out of alignment, and throw off your sense of balance. It's not really known what causes it, unfortunately, and it's usually relatively simple to treat and only temporary, but in my case the usual maneuvers to realign the canaliths haven't worked. There are exercises you can do to acclimate yourself to the loss of balance, but they produce pretty nightmarish vertigo in themselves, and after gradually helping me a bit for a while they actually made my symptoms worse, so I stopped them.

It makes it hard for me to read and play music, but it's actually affected my drawing the most. Looking down like that for that period of time really throws me for a loop.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More