Dark Force: Favorite and Least Favorite Versions

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Dark Force: Favorite and Least Favorite Versions

Postby Tanith » Sat Feb 27, '10, 12:58 am

This includes any manifestation of the Dark Force/Profound Darkness. I just ran out of room in the title and went with "Dark Force." 8) This doesn't include other bosses.

Which are your favorites? Which ones disappointed you? Any reasons are acceptable. If you like your enemies better or worse based on their attacks rather than appearance, that's fine! I'm personally basing mine more on the artwork, as that's what's more interesting to me.

My absolute favorite is Dark Force from PSII. The slightly more "realistic"/less comic book-ish battle scenes (except for the unfortunate blue grid backgrounds) of PSII made a lot of the enemies scarier than other PS installments, and Dark Force is the real standout here (excluding Mother Brain). It also retains a lot of the same features and the main attack of Dark Falz from PSI. I like the connection. I like how it looms from above; I picture this Dark Force sort of hanging down from the rafters in the ship. Maybe it's attached itself to the ship, much like the first Dark Force in PSIV.

Runners up include Dark Falz from PSI (its electric blue color and simian arms are really impressive) and the aforementioned PSIV Dark Force. I liked how he was sort of an unfinished mess of nerves attached to the computer system.

My least favorite is the Dark Force from PSIII. I don't mind the departure in style as much as it was such a let down how easy he was to defeat. My second least favorite is the final version of the Profound Darkness in PSIV. It was mostly disappointing because I guess I was expecting something less... well endowed.

Whoa! Sorry for the novel. I'm highly opinionated, it seems. :D
Last edited by Tanith on Sat Feb 27, '10, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Re: Dark Force: Favorite and Least Favorite Versions

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 27, '10, 3:27 am

My favorite design is the final Dark Force in PSIV. I like the fact that it has legs, unlike all the other Dark Forces. Mobility is important for the evil mastermind. The long blade arm is rather neat, too. I also like that it is so tall it has to kneel to get on the screen. Plus the whole disguised as a human angle.

Least favorite... I suppose that would be the Profound Darkness. Particularly the one form that looks like a tree with teeth. That was not an impressive look.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat Feb 27, '10, 5:33 am

Thoul wrote:My favorite design is the final Dark Force in PSIII. I like the fact that it has legs, unlike all the other Dark Forces. Mobility is important for the evil mastermind. The long blade arm is rather neat, too. I also like that it is so tall it has to kneel to get on the screen. Plus the whole disguised as a human angle.

Least favorite... I suppose that would be the Profound Darkness. Particularly the one form that looks like a tree with teeth. That was not an impressive look.

Don't you mean PSIV's DF3?

But yeah... I would have to say that Dark Force 3 from PSIV is my favorite. It had everything going for it. IT had power, a sweet design, a nice blade, and it's probably the only one I've seen that shown mass intelligence (Hence the whole disguised as Seth ordeal), I also like to think that this one had speed.

AS for least favorite, I'd have to say Profound Darkness form 2. That things just ugly. Why, it's so ugly it looks like it fell from the top of the ugly tree, hit every branch down and then coincidentally hit a trampoline sending it back to the top of the ugly tree, just to break every branch on it's way down again.... or something like that... >.>
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Feb 27, '10, 3:39 pm

I'll have to agree with Atlin on DF3, but I wasn't a big fan of the Profound Darkness's first form. It was just a shapeless blob, could've been a generic B-movie monster. Meh...
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 27, '10, 6:06 pm

Atlinsmere wrote:Don't you mean PSIV's DF3?

Yes... I guess I had PSIII on the brain. *edits post*
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Tue Mar 2, '10, 1:03 am

I like PSIV Dark Force 2 the most. The one with all the spider legs and its found living in the Garuberk Tower, it looks the most menacing in my opinion. I also like the original Dark Force from PS1. It’s skeletal-like form just looks evil :evil: probably why I like it so much.

Least favourite Dark Force from PSIII and all the New Dark Forces (or Dark Falz as he’s called now) that have been put in PSU and PS0. Sega has sadly strayed away from the creature’s truly evil origins. :down:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Solar » Tue Mar 2, '10, 3:38 pm

My favorite is the design in Phantasy Star 2 - especially Generation, I really like its animations in that one.
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Mar 11, '10, 5:18 pm

Well, I know it is quite strange, but for me Dark Force is the worst thing about PS series, so I never pay much attention to them.
I think PSI would benefit a lot without Dark Force, PSII would be the same, PSIII could be more interesting with someone else other than Dark Force and PSIV most probably wouldn't exist, which would not be a bad idea...
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Return to Classic Series