Musical Games

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Musical Games

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 1:36 am

Have you ever played any video games that incorporated music as a major part of the game? If so, which ones and what did you think of them?

For this I'm thinking of any game where music or something related to it is a major mechanic. Anything from Dance Dance Revolution to Guitar Hero and everything inbetween.

Personally, the only one I've played is the PlayStation 2 RPG Ephemeral Fantasia, which has portions where the player has to play a guitar via the main character. Supposedly it works with one of the old guitar controllers, but I used a normal PS2 controller. It was pretty good, but I thought the guitar parts were rather difficult for me.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:55 am

Lol, Karoke? Revolution was the only music based game that we ever got. It wasn't that bad either, we'd get the whole family nearing this time of year and sing as many songs as we could the best way possible. I had the highest score on Celebration, my aunt on Red Red Wine, my mom on Wind beneath my wings, and my little brother on Its the End of the World As we know it. XDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby LordShibas » Tue Nov 20, '07, 3:28 pm

I played Parappa the Rappa way back in the day. It was pretty stupid, but had some catchy music. Parappa has been re-packaged, given a guitar controller, and is now called Guitar Hero. They are the same thing. I'll never unerstand how this junk became so popular.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 6:00 pm

Ah, Parappa... I haven't heard of that in years. I guess the presentation of the game has a big affect on the size of the audience it receives. Parappa was "kiddy" with cartoonish graphics, but I suppose Guitar Hero passes itself off as more "edgy."
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Wed Nov 21, '07, 8:48 pm

Music games just aren't my thing. I have no musical talent, so I don't even try those. :lol:
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Thu Nov 22, '07, 12:41 pm

Neithird wrote:Music games just aren't my thing. I have no musical talent, so I don't even try those. :lol:

The irony of music games is that you don't need any musical talent to play them. It's just button presses.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 22, '07, 12:50 pm

Ths only music game that comes to mind for me is Parappa the Rapper. It's kind of funny how certain parts were easier while others were harder (like the slow frog and chicken were easy for me). I think my favorite was the frog at the flea market since it was so silly! :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby LordShibas » Thu Nov 22, '07, 2:53 pm

You mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bXp8lZvy00

Yeah it's sweet.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 22, '07, 9:17 pm

Yes, that was the one! I always liked playing through it. :) However, the person playing it isn't doing too good in that video.

"The skunk over here will bring you luck~!" - Love that line.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 27, '07, 6:45 am

I don't think I have ever played any musical games, but I do think I might like them. :note:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Tech and Design