Multimedia machines

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Multimedia machines

Postby Thoul » Wed Dec 10, '08, 1:18 am

In recent generations, gaming systems have begun including features that make them more than just game machines. Some can play music CDs or movie DVDs. A few provide general internet access. Nintendo has even experimented with adding cameras.

In essence, systems are moving away from being dedicated gaming machines and living up to the name of "computer entertainment system." What do you think of this trend? Do you like seeing additional features like this or would you prefer for gaming systems to remain just for gaming?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Dec 15, '08, 4:19 am

Personally, I will have to go both ways. I like the fact that there is all this extra content, however, it seems to be more concentrated on the additional features than the actually gaming part of the system.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Dec 15, '08, 3:10 pm

I don't mind additional features, but as Trenzer said...I'd rather that the gaming part be the focus. Additional features that don't get in the way of the gaming part are fine.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Tech and Design