Movies based on Video Games

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Movies based on Video Games

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 20, '07, 12:41 am

There have been a lot of motion pictures based on all kinds of video games, ranging from platformers to fighting games to horror movies. Which game movies have you watched and enjoyed? Are there any that you found to be a good representation of the game, or any that were especially bad?

I enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat movie and Street Fighter, which I thought were entertaining even if not especially true to the source material. Super Mario Bros. has to be the worst game movie I ever saw. :lol:

I've been seeing commercials lately for two new movies, Resident Evil 3 and DOA. The first two Resident Evil movies were pretty good, so I'd like to see the new one. I probably won't watch DOA, since it's based on the Dead or Alive games and those just don't interest me.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 20, '07, 2:03 am

I never played Tomb Raider, but it was my favorite video game from a movie by far, mostly because of the soundtrack.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Atolm » Thu Sep 20, '07, 3:28 am

I am dreading the new RE movie.

I also heard a rumor that Christian Bale is to play Snake in a upcoming Metal Gear movie.

I am always iffy with such things!
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Sep 20, '07, 8:42 pm

I really can't think of too many game based movies right now. I suppose my favorite would be "Mortal Kombat" as mentioned above. I wish they would do another one of those movies. :yes: I love that theme song. :whistle:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 20, '07, 11:43 pm

Atolm wrote:I also heard a rumor that Christian Bale is to play Snake in a upcoming Metal Gear movie.
Christian Bale is a great actor, but a Metal Gear movie? Snake is such a cliche of grunts, and a crankier Rambo...

Secret_Surfer wrote:I love that theme song. :whistle:
Then give the Precursors track a listen: http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursor ... p?remix=35
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 21, '07, 6:01 am

Hollywood loves blockbuster action movies, and Metal Gear seems like a perfect candidate for that. Still, if Bale is in it, it might be interesting.

Atolm wrote:I am dreading the new RE movie.

Any particular reason? I haven't played any of the RE games myself, but I found the first two movies to be enjoyable (at least, as far as action flicks with almost no actual story can be).
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Sep 22, '07, 12:13 am

The Komrade wrote:Then give the Precursors track a listen: http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursor ... p?remix=35

Komrade, Thanks for the link. :clap: :up:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Celeith » Sat Sep 22, '07, 12:22 am

i heard there is a devil may cry movie coming out in japan eventually, i wonder if it'll be any good.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Sep 22, '07, 12:26 am

Secret_Surfer wrote:Komrade, Thanks for the link. :clap: :up:
No problem! You can edit Star Control 2 to make that the music during every ship battle. :wink:

kaloes wrote:i heard there is a devil may cry movie coming out in japan eventually, i wonder if it'll be any good.
I never played any games in that series, how was the story? The gameplay looked fun.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 22, '07, 3:15 pm

Right now I'm watching Wing Commander. It's a pretty good sci-fi movie, though I never played the games.

Does anyone remember that old movie, "The Wizard"? It's not really based on a video game, but it was one of Nintendo's more innovative marketing strategies: a whole movie just to show off Super Mario Bros. 3.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Feature Films