Movie props

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Movie props

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 13, '12, 9:45 am

Do you ever wonder what happens to some of the items used in the movies, or movie props as they are called? Well, I found an interesting video telling about a few various movie props . Take a look at this:

http://omg.yahoo.com/yo-show/a-peek-at- ... 24558.html

Is there any particular movie prop from any particular movie that anyone here would love to have, if you could find it and if you could afford it??
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Wed Jun 13, '12, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Movie props

Postby myau56 » Sun Jun 17, '12, 12:16 pm

Me, I would like to have some weapons or other things from the Lord of the Rings !!:) Whatever ! But surely very very hard to obtain such items.
Last edited by myau56 on Sun Jun 17, '12, 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jun 17, '12, 7:23 pm

Yeah, I can image how hard it would be to get certain movie props from some movies. I would image that the actors in the movies might be allowed to have some of the props.

There are probably various sites where you can get replicas of various movie props, etc. Seems like I recall years ago not long after the "Lord Of The Rings" movies came out that we received a magazine in the mail that contained many various replicas of items seen in the movie. I think I remember some jewelry items that may have been in the movie and also numerous swords, etc.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 17, '12, 8:12 pm

That guy has some neat things. I mean, Yoda's cane? That's a pretty rare thing to have.

Personally, I'd like to have one of the Captain America shields. I used to want one of the Batmobiles until I read that there was a required contract that prevented the owners from displaying them or driving them. All you can do with one of those is just lock it in a garage and forget about it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Tue Jun 19, '12, 12:37 pm

Yoda's cane ? Great one ! Unfortunately about the batmobile : a contract ??Very strange but understandable...in a sort of way.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jun 20, '12, 12:45 am

I've seen replicas of various wands from the Harry Potter movies in comic shops. Pretty cool stuff, IMO.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Wed Jun 20, '12, 8:29 am

Yes ! A wand from Harry potter ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 20, '12, 3:08 pm

Say what.....you mean if someone bought a Batmobile then they couldn't drive it????? If that's the case, then I have to wonder what is the point of even getting one then. Driving it would be half the fun of owning it. That's an unusual rule, one would think. I wonder if they have that rule on other celebrity cars that have been for sale, say for instance, the Dukes Of Hazard car or others? I'll have to look and see what I can find out about that.

On an interesting, and kind of related note, here as I was just searching for some info on Batmobiles, here's an article I found regarding Batmobiles possibly being copyrighted, etc.:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/celebrity_just ... ks-so.html

I wonder if something like this law might also apply to other movie props, etc.??? What does everyone think about this?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby myau56 » Wed Jun 20, '12, 10:29 pm

A Batmobile ? Imagine driving it in the streets : especially here in my city in France : impossible to take a lot of the streets ^^ And I'm not sure it's authorized especially due to security problems...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 21, '12, 11:23 am

Say what.....you mean if someone bought a Batmobile then they couldn't drive it????? If that's the case, then I have to wonder what is the point of even getting one then.

Well, this would apply only to official Batmobiles, like the ones actually used in the movies. The contract stuff I read was specifically for one from the Keaton movies, if my memory doesn't fail me. I imagine the restriction exists mostly so that Warner Bros. can be the only ones make money off appearances. There could be safety issues, too. Those things were not built for regular streets, so driving them could actually be illegal in some places.

Custom built replicas are another matter; as long as those are street legal, I don't think anyone can stop them from being driven.

On an interesting, and kind of related note, here as I was just searching for some info on Batmobiles, here's an article I found regarding Batmobiles possibly being copyrighted, etc.:

I'm not surprised. Well, actually I would have thought this would come under trademark laws rather than copyright. Same results, though. The Batmobile is an iconic part of the Batman franchise. Warner Bros. has to actively try to protect that franchise or they could lose the ability to stop mass production of unofficial Batmobiles.

It could certainly apply to other props that have distinguishing features. In that linked page, I saw another link about a similar suit involving Power Ranger Halloween costumes, so there's an example right there. The costumes cannot be copyrighted, but important marks that are recognizable as being part of Power Rangers - the helmet designs, logos, the diamond shapes - those are another matter. Something like Yoda's cane is probably not protected like this - it's just piece of wood. Captain America's shield is a unique, easily recognizable item that would be protected, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Feature Films