Movie: Phantasy Star Prime

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Re: Movie: Phantasy Star Prime

Postby CaptainPlanet » Fri Apr 6, '12, 8:01 pm

Well, what really got us was the funding issue. WE had planned on revealing more and more with every trailer we released until launch. This particular trailer was supposed to showcase a few of the weapons that the Earth heroes wield in the films, however, we didn't have the money we needed to build them, plus, our craftsman was busy this winter with his own things, so we decided to just take it easy during the cold months while I compile and piece together the first three episodes of your new comedy series, 'Douchebags', which should premiere within the next week. I'll be sure to drop just the first episode here for you guys to watch if you're interested.
CaptainPlanet
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 27

Postby myau56 » Fri Apr 6, '12, 10:06 pm

Very interesting ! If you can do it, I'll watch it with great interest !:)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby CaptainPlanet » Tue Apr 10, '12, 1:17 pm

Not PSPrime related, but I thought I would drop this here seeing as how it has taken up the greater chunk of our time lately. I figured you guys might like to see what we've been up to on the side. Today was the official launch of our new comedy series, "Douchebags". Check it out below!

In This Episode:
Evan and Kevin find themselves in a tough situation when they are kicked out of Kevin's dad's house and thrust into the real world where the trials of life meet them head-on. Desperate to move back in with Pops, the two embark on a quest for money to prove to Pops once and for all that they are responsible enough to earn the right to move back in.

Starring:
Evan................. Dallas Landreth
Kevin................ Michael Hebert
Nick................. Theo Irwin
Rico................. Jake Perry
Pops................ Charles Felthousen
Melvin............... Stephen Johnson
Babe #1............ Crystal Day
Babe #2............ Carmen Cacophony
Sweetheart #1... Josh Williams
Sweetheart #2... Hunter Williams

Music By:
Akaimizu Productions
Last edited by CaptainPlanet on Tue Apr 10, '12, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainPlanet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby CaptainPlanet » Thu Jul 12, '12, 8:12 am

UPDATE: 7/12/12

Three months and no update? Shame on me!

I'm sure some of you are probably wondering where I disappeared to while others are probably used to it by now and I'm sorry about that. I've had my head buried in the books. No, not school books, I'm self-taught so far and might as well keep it that way. Between experience and the internet, we're doing pretty well in our endeavors. I'm talking more along the lines of history books. I'm sure you may recall from the last update that the story of Prime is intimately tied into both the lore of the original Genesis saga and real-world ancient legend and human history. Well, I have spent the last several months taking a break from working on the script directly to study some of the history and legends that I will be directly working with in my writings. Though the first script, progress-wise, is well-beyond the two-hour mark so far, I have yet to scratch the surface of the really deep stuff, which the first movie will act as a sort of primer for, whereas in the second movie, the main characters will become fully involved with the legends the minute they travel offworld and begin traversing the stars in their quest to stop a number of Dark Forces from releasing the Profound Darkness from her interdimensional prison.

Character development and progression will be a persisting theme throughout the saga as you will see the main characters embark on their own individual quests that ultimately tie into the overall plot, which will earn each of them different abilities, aesthetics and upgrades as the trilogy progresses. You will invest a lot into these movies as, not only am I aiming to write compelling, likeable characters, but also you will watch each character grow and develop in their own way, thus causing the story to evolve exponentially over time.

I have been watching a lot of Nostalgia Critic/Bum Reviews/Doug Walker movie reviews lately and I stopped to wonder just how Doug Walker might review Phantasy Star Prime if he were to see the finished product. Since the first movie is written to gradually ease newcomers into the mix, I can't imagine him getting lost in translation. As I reviewed the script, the only thing I can imagine he might say about it in a negative way would be that, "It's too long."

In that respect, Doug Walker may actually be right in this hypothetical scenario, the movie is, in fact, too long... by the standards of what we typically know a movie to be. The fact of the matter is however that Phantasy Star Prime is not intended to be anything like other movies. It is a monumental effort to bring something extra-big, extra-detailed, and extra-special to the screen. It's what one might call a "major investment movie." It's the kind of movie you would have to be in the mood to watch. Sometimes you just want to have some popcorn and watch giant robots pummel each other for an hour and a half, which is what the term, "popcorn movie" represents, a light-hearted action fest with minimum story and maximum explosions and fight scenes.

Phantasy Star Prime is the polar opposite of that. It's one of those movies you have to be ready to devote your time and attention to in order to get the most enjoyment out of it. Sure you have plenty of flashy action sequences and fight scenes, but unlike what the limited time window that Hollywood allows for their movies, which is typically between 1.5 to 2 hours, we have expanded the framework and have allowed for the time to be utilized to put a LOT of meaning behind every fight, explosion and chase. Every punch, every clash of a saber, every Foie to the face has meaning and motive behind it which will be made very apparent with this unrestricted timetable.

So I thought, "Maybe there's something to that. Maybe there is a way I can shorten it to make it more concise." Upon my review of the script, I found that EVERY scene, no matter how small, played a vital role in the structure and telling of the overall story. Not one scene throughout the 2+ hours of incomplete script was without purpose or was unneeded. That's when I came to the realization that, "Maybe this just isn't THAT kind of movie. Maybe this is something else, something more." I have come to realize that breaking the mold isn't necessarily such a bad thing. He who does not step out of line and take a chance with something new is doomed to be a copy after all.

If Phantasy Star Prime is not a movie, then what is it?

Phantasy Star Prime is a digital monument. It is unique in its own, very special way. It is a monster of a production that doesn't necessarily aim to pave the way for films of the future however it does attempt to try things that no other movie before it has ever done. Prime, if anything, is my legacy. It is the most monumental project I have ever set before me and therefore, it has become my life's work. I'm 26, I still have a full life to live, so how can this be considered a lifelong endeavor? Because of the enormous amount of work and time that needs to be put into it in order to achieve the end result. Prime first began production back in summer of 2010 and the only thing concrete that you have seen so far is the very first teaser trailer. In that respect, I can understand why some of you may have lost faith in the project or even lost interest.

What makes this project so massive however is the amount of detail that I am willing to inject into this thing. I guarantee that you have never seen nearly as much due diligence come out of Hollywood in terms of preliminary research simply for the desire of achieving perfect attention to detail in order to please as many people as possible. I have already put over a year of solid research into structuring the story of Prime with surgical precision. I have played all the games, taken notes while playing, spoken to every single townsperson in order to obtain every little iota of information, etc. In other words, this is more than just a super-long movie trilogy, this is essentially a compendium of Phantasy Star lore and historical legend in film form. It is propped up with a library's-worth of information in order to keep it solid.

I recently received a message from a member of the forums over at PSO-World asking about the project. One of the things I mentioned in my reply to this person was that, ideally, I would have loved it if Prime could be a product of the Phantasy Star community as a whole, however I stated that it didn't seem that a lot of members are in the position to do much considering our physical distance from one anther. That being said, I would just like to put it out there that I would be more than happy to be proven wrong. Just because this is my life's work doesn't mean I am doing it to seek personal recognition.

Which is why at this time I would like to extend an open invitation to anyone within this community who believes they have a skill or could lend some sort of useful function to the effort to go ahead and shoot us an e-mail at donerightproductions@yahoo.com if you think you might like to help out with this project in some form. I would be glad to collaborate with as many of you as would like to help.

Until next time,
-Mike Hebert
CaptainPlanet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 14, '12, 9:22 pm

Thanks for the update on this project! Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. Please keep us informed of your progress. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Sun Jul 15, '12, 10:22 pm

Thganks too for the update ! Good luck for the work and see you soon and news from you :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Previous

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More