Most Popular Video Games

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Most Popular Video Games

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 2, '18, 1:05 am

I recently saw something online about the most popular video games of all time. Well, I don't know if I agree with this list. Phantasy Star was not even on the list. I don't remember seeing any Zelda games on there either, but it could have been on there and I missed it or something. The number one game was WII Sports! Say what???? I love WII Sports but it is not my favorite game of all time. Several of the Mario games were on the list.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/ ... cid=AARDHP

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Most Popular Video Games

Postby R-90-2 » Fri Feb 2, '18, 2:22 am

I'm honestly not surprised- Phantasy Star was never all that popular compared to other games of its time, plus this is a list of the best-selling games of all time.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 2, '18, 12:05 pm

I've just watched the list and in fact it's just the best sellers :! Just the Video Games that were the most sold in the world (if I'm not mistaken).
Wii Sports first ? Logical as it was a bundle with the WII ! So for me it doesn't count really... and it's the same for most of the list : the best sold ones aren't the best one...
You're right too : there is absolutely no Zelda in this list... very strange ! And about Phantasy Star it's logical this time as it's an old serie (I don't count PSO and PSU and other one online games) and the copies sold weren't so high... but what counts is only we know that it's the greatest serie of all time :! (or one of them ! ;)).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby R-90-2 » Sat Feb 3, '18, 3:04 am

One of the things that continuously bothers me is the complete lack of sales data on the classic Phantasy Star series. I have some vague ideas on how relatively popular it was, but I want some numbers for my notions.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby myau56 » Sun Feb 4, '18, 5:27 pm

R-90-2 wrote:One of the things that continuously bothers me is the complete lack of sales data on the classic Phantasy Star series. I have some vague ideas on how relatively popular it was, but I want some numbers for my notions.

I agree with you here :! I've never seen any sales data at all and it's so frustrating...:(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby R-90-2 » Sun Feb 4, '18, 10:19 pm

myau56 wrote:I agree with you here :! I've never seen any sales data at all and it's so frustrating...:(

And the thing is, even trying to extrapolate is hard due to various other factors, such as that the Genesis was about as popular in the US as the Super Nintendo, but far less so in Japan, the Master System/Mk-III wasn't all that popular compared to the NES, the Phantasy Star games were typically priced significantly higher than NES or SNES RPGs, Sega of America deliberately tried to tank Phantasy Star 4, and it goes on and on like that.
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Feb 5, '18, 6:18 am

The reason Wii Sports is on there is because it was packaged with every Wii, which sold gangbusters back in the day. If this is based just on sales data it makes sense that would be well up there.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Mon Feb 5, '18, 12:09 pm

This is indeed just based on the "sold numbers" (not sure it's right !) and so WII sports is sure to be here...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to Retro Roundup