D-Pad or Stick?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

D-Pad or Stick?

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 15, '08, 11:59 pm

There are lots of different control styles for video games, but two of the most widely used as the D-Pad and joystick.

Personally, I prefer using the joystick because I started gaming in arcades and on the Atari 2600, which used that. The more precise moving speed in some games (as in, push a little to walk, more to run) can make for a fun element, too. The D-Pad (D for directional, btw, introduced by Nintendo on the NES I think) works really well for some games, but even on the NES I preferred using a joystick controller to the D-Pad.

What's your opinion?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Jan 16, '08, 12:53 am

I always favored the D-pad, mainly because its the control I used to play with only. But now, I like the Sticks, HOWEVER I like the D-pads, cuz they don't ever break. Our Sticks are all stucks. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby DrkTr14ce » Wed Jan 16, '08, 4:54 pm

Hoo...boy..that's a tough one. I'm in the middle for this one, but for obvious reasons. If it's 2-D, I'll probably be using my D-Pad. It's a lot more accurate, and feels a bit better than the stick. 3-D, however, and it's Stick all the way. Because then the D-Pad feels too stiff and awkward, especially when trying to go diagonally.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Thoul » Fri Jan 18, '08, 7:41 am

Yeah, I always hated trying to do a diagonal on the NES or SNES D-Pad. I think one of the Genesis controllers had a D-Pad with a round base to it. That was a lot easier for diagonals.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DrkTr14ce » Fri Jan 18, '08, 3:40 pm

Really? I haven't really played the Genesis.(I really want to, though.)
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Jan 18, '08, 4:20 pm

I used to only use D-Pad all the time but, since I got a gamecube, I have gotten so used to using a Stick it bugs me to use anything else. >_<
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Sat Jan 19, '08, 3:10 am

DrkTr14ce wrote:Really? I haven't really played the Genesis.(I really want to, though.)

Yeah, but I can't remember if it was the default three button controller or a six button controller I bought later. I think it might have been the six button, since it was designed more for fighting games and the typical "left, down/left, down" moves than the normal controller was.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Jan 19, '08, 5:01 am

Have you ever played with one of the super controllers? It has all the funnest commands like turbo, slow motion and normal mode, plus the mode button, which I still don't get. And all six buttons.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Return to Tech and Design