In retrospect...

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

In retrospect...

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 29, '07, 2:22 am

We've talked before about how each of us was introduced to Phantasy Star and which games we've played. Looking back with the perfect vision of hindsight, which game do you wish you had played first and why?

I really wish I had started with Phantasy Star I. After playing III and IV first, it was years before I was really motivated to try the older games in the series. I think that, if I had started at the beginning, I would have enjoyed the games more overall.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 29, '07, 2:40 am

I can't really recall which I played first (either PSIII or PSIV), but I do wish that I had at least played PSII before PSIV -- that way, I would've enjoyed it more when I was younger rather than thinking "this isn't as fun as PSIV". :D

True, it's very different in terms of storyline and such, but mostly I'd compare the battle systems at the time.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Heikabuchi » Thu Nov 29, '07, 4:51 am

If I had a choice in the matter, I would have played the games in the following order: 2, 1, 3, 4

PS2 has a rich storyline, so it would have enticed me to play PS1. Since PS1 isn't too incredibly rich in the graphics department, but learning the story that started the saga would have made it playable. PS3 fills the gap between PS2 and PS4, and does so with grace. The generation prospect was absolute genius.
PS4 is self explainatory.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Angela » Thu Nov 29, '07, 3:24 pm

I first played Phantasy Star I when it was released in Australia, and continued the series in order. I'm always incredibly glad I played PS1 first. Sometimes however I think I would have preffered to play III after IV. Mostly because there was the hint of the worldships escaping the system in IV, and it chronologically occured afterwards. III's gameplay was also such a huge depature from II, whereas IV took on many of II's elements. Either way, in the end, I'm rather grateful I played the games in the order I did.
Angela
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 9

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Nov 29, '07, 6:23 pm

I dont know, I don't think I could enjoy a game with graphics of the first two, not saying that they werent good, its just that, it wouldn't have been any fun at the age I was when I was able to play them.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Fri Nov 30, '07, 12:23 am

I wish I had played in 1, 2, 4, 3 order. 4 is much more of a kindred sequel to 2 than 3 was. 3 is okay, but my least favorite of the series due to the extreme differences. This order would have been a more natural progression of both the story and the design elements to me.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby hugues » Fri Nov 30, '07, 2:10 am

I played them 2,1,3,4 am I'm happy with that order. I can certainly see the merits of doing them in the proper order though.

I hunted down the original Phantasy Star because I thought PSII was so great. I still remember being blown away at the resemblance between Odin and Rudo - always figured they were related. Meeting Noah in the original game was suddenly a huge moment given his role in PSII (I did the "bad translation math" right away). It was just sorta cool to go back and see all these places in Phantasy Star that were in PSII. It was a good enough game that it didn't feel like a step backwards going from 2 to 1.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Return to Classic Series