Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Aug 11, '10, 9:46 am

Wikipedia wrote:Mortal Kombat: Rebirth is a 2010 action short film directed by Kevin Tancharoen with fight choreography by Larnell Stovall who also choreographed the recent Undisputed III: Redemption. Based on the Mortal Kombat series of fighting games, the short-film "actually was made by the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_Rebirth

WARNING! May contain disturbing content and gore.

If the video violates the Participation Guidelines, Please Thoul, just remove the YouTube Video instead of deleting it. Thank you.

Now my thoughts on the video.

Awesome. This is an awesome reimagining of the Mortal Kombat universe. I wouldn't mind seeing a full movie like this. I think it'd be great. It'd follow Scorpion too by the looks of it, which would be a nice change. ^_^
Last edited by Atlinsmere on Wed Aug 11, '10, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Re: Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Aug 11, '10, 9:48 pm

I would love to see another Mortal Kombat film. :yes:
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Aug 11, '10, 9:56 pm

Well, from what I heard, there should be a third Mortal Kombat movie coming out in either in 2012 or 2013. Though it seems like there are a lot of complications right now that are preventing it from happening so far.

Wikipedia wrote:Production on a second sequel, titled Mortal Kombat: Devastation, was initially scheduled to commence shortly after the release of Annihilation, but it was shelved due to Annihilation's poor box-office performance. It consequently has remained stagnant in preproduction for over a decade, including being mired in development hell for a number of years with numerous script rewrites and story changes, along with the destruction of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina, which greatly affected one of the shooting locations.

There's more on the wiki page below, in the section Sequel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortal_Kombat:_An ... nihilation
Atlinsmere

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Aug 11, '10, 10:22 pm

Thanks for the link, Atlin. Very interesting. Yeah, it seems there are always going to be complications, etc., but I hope they get to it and get another film made before we are all too old to appreciate it, and before some of the actors in the previous films get too old to do it again possibly, or just make an appearance in the film as I'm sure they will have new actors, etc.

Personally, I don' t think Annihilation was all that bad, but I can see how the numbers went on that film and understand what they are saying about it not doing so well. I think the one thing that spoiled Annihilation for me was the fact that Christopher Lambert did not return as Raiden, however the new guy was sort of okay. With all this recent interest in MK, maybe a new film will get done before long.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Aug 11, '10, 11:46 pm

Agreed. Mind you, I think I liked the new guy better in Annihilation. The one thing that ruined the experience for me was when Johhny Cage died at the beginning of the movie. Also they introduced too many characters too fast in Annihilation that it ruined the movie, though it still was good.

Honestly, I think a full length movie on Rebirth would be awesome if they did a new film. The fight scene in it was great, and if they make all the scenes like that, it would be an amazing film. Though of course, a lot of fans wouldn't like that as much, and probably go on a fanboy rant. But who knows right?
Atlinsmere

Postby Thoul » Wed Aug 11, '10, 11:54 pm

I thought Annihilation was okay too, but it had some serious problems. Recasting all but two characters and killing off one of the more interesting people right away were bad moves. Some of the special effects at the end look really terrible, too.

This reimagining is okay I guess, but I don't like that they stripped out every single bit of the mysticism from the concept. Sometimes there is such as thing as too much realism. This version crosses that line for me. And again, I'm not so fond of Johnny Cage getting killed off before the story even begins.

Atlinsmere wrote:If the video violates the Participation Guidelines, Please Thoul, just remove the YouTube Video instead of deleting it. Thank you.

Since the only potential issue I see here is gore, which is very subjective to my mind (and hey, this is Mortal Kombat, it should be expected), I'll allow the video. I would ask that you add a little warning about possibly disturbing imagery before it, though.

On a side note, if the video did violate the guidelines, I would have to remove the entire post. Site policy is, and always has been, not to edit posts to remove violating content. There are no exceptions to this policy. Old versions of posts are not kept after editing, so editing would make restoration of content removed in error impossible.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 12, '10, 12:04 am

Alright Thoul thanks for the heads up. I made a large warning right before the video.

While I do agree that killing Johnny Cage off in the beginning again is a turn off, seeing the fight scene with Johnny in it was awesome. And I think it's the realism that appeals to me in this film. It certainly is better than other game to modern life adaptations I've seen.
Atlinsmere

Return to Feature Films