Mortal Kombat banned in Australia, maybe?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Re: Mortal Kombat banned in Australia, maybe?

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue Mar 15, '11, 6:44 pm

Maybe it will be banned here in Brazil as well, but that doesn't mean people will be unable to get it.

I think this is only because of the reputation the series has. There are games which are much more violent, but if they don't spark a controversy, they will never be banned.
Anyway, banning anything is a stupidity. You can rate and even restrict selling them to people over a certain age, but banning? Makes no sense. It is as if they consider people a bunch of lunatics who will run amok after playing a violent game.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Lucas » Fri Mar 18, '11, 1:04 pm

Recently found out that customs is on the look out for any copies of Mortal Kombat 9 getting imported to Australia the maximum penalty is $110,000 AUD. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, considering they are carrying on like its a fire arm or illegal drugs instead of a game.

I dunno, I personally think it's a big let down. Might take a while for me to get over the fact that the government is in control of the games people play in this country. Fortunately my favourite games haven't been banned for stupid reasons...yet.

Yet it still bothers me that God of War 3 and Dead Space 2 got into Australia...

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby tilinelson2 » Fri Mar 18, '11, 3:11 pm

I thought those ridiculous things only happened here... Now I see we are not so far behind the developed countries :p
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby xellos667 » Fri Mar 18, '11, 3:13 pm

WHAT THE??? I was about to suggest you to just import it (I dont know if you're playing on PS3, but if you do, well, everything on the console is pretty much region free)...but now you're telling me that custom is even checking to not let one imported copy pass??? Australia seems like a nice place and all, but for once I will have to say "What is wrong with Australia???". While I'm not interrested in MK, but I'm still truly sad for you. It's like they're doing a video game version of a witch hunt...really pathetic....
Last edited by xellos667 on Fri Mar 18, '11, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Thoul » Fri Mar 18, '11, 10:14 pm

That's rather extreme, to put it mildly. They shouldn't stop people from importing the game. Even if it can't be sold in the country, banning it from even entering at all is going to be very difficult to enforce.

I read something the other day about some government officials in Australia pushing for a new rating that would allow games like this. The article said something might happen in July I think, so it probably doesn't help with Mortal Kombat now. Maybe next year importing it will be allowed.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Flames of Yagami » Wed Aug 28, '13, 1:36 am

The ban on MK9 in Australia was lifted earlier this year thanks to the new R18+ rating.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/mortal-kom ... on=desktop
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Previous

Return to General Gaming