MJ and Beatles catalog

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

MJ and Beatles catalog

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Jul 3, '09, 9:17 am

With Michael Jackson's death, the fact that he owns some of the Beatles music has taken on a whole new significance. Buying this music to begin with seems like a very smart business move on Jackson's part.

Anyway, Here are a few articles I found on this:

http://www.examiner.com/x-7070-Web-Buzz ... and-exwife

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatles- ... if-and-if-

So, what do you think will happen to all this Beatles music now???

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: MJ and Beatles catalog

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 3, '09, 5:51 pm

Unless his will does something specifically with them, I imagine they would end up as part of his estate. In that case, his ownership would probably be transferred to his mother based on what I've heard about the current will. Then it would be entirely up to her to keep or sell them.

I doubt the rights will ever find their way back to the Beatles, at any rate.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 5, '09, 9:39 pm

Thoul wrote:Unless his will does something specifically with them, I imagine they would end up as part of his estate. In that case, his ownership would probably be transferred to his mother based on what I've heard about the current will. Then it would be entirely up to her to keep or sell them.

I doubt the rights will ever find their way back to the Beatles, at any rate.

Yeah, I think you are right about what is transferred to his mom, etc., being her decision. I think Michael only owns half or about 50% of that catalog, though, as I believe Sony owns the other half. I'm not exactly sure about that, though.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby GhostVoices » Mon Jul 6, '09, 1:32 am

I am sure that whatever happens, some people will be happy...others won't - the end ;)

Seriously though, I would be interested to see how everything works out, although I would personally like to see the rights returned to Paul Mcartney, especially after his last wife took him to the cleaners.
http://astralvoidrecords.blogspot.com For the best in Music,Games,Movies, Books, and more!
GhostVoices
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Jul 18, '09, 4:04 am

I too would like to see the rights returned to Paul McCartney somehow. It only seems fitting that he should own them. I hope it will happen someday, somehow.

Did anyone see the clip of Paul McCartney discussing this music catalog when he appeared on the David Letterman show? He told the story of how he and Michael were friends and worked together on some records and Paul told Michael he should get in the music publishing business, or something to that effect, and Michael told Paul he would get him, or something along those lines, and he did. Paul told the story much better than I can.

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 1, '09, 12:07 am

Interesting bit of info that I saw on TV the other day. It sort of fits this topic and sort of doesn't. Actually, it's about music catalogs.

Did you know that Paul McCartney bought the Buddy Holly music catalog years ago?

For those that are not all that familiar with Buddy Holly, he was one of the rock and roll icons and idols who was killed in a plane crash sometime in the 1950's or early 1960's. He had famous hits such as "Peggy Sue", and I can't remember the others right now.

Makes you wonder just who owns who's music catalogs these days, doesn't it?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 15, '09, 9:21 pm

Heard on the news Friday, I think it was, that it was the anniversary of the day that MJ bought the Beatles catalog, probably around 20 years or so ago. Thought that was interesting since we've been talking about it here and it's been in the news a lot lately.

Silver_Surfer1

Return to Tootin' Tunes