Drawing Contest: Atlinsmere vs Kaloes

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Poll ended at Thu Aug 26, '10, 9:20 am

Atlinsmere
44%
Kaloes
56%

Total votes : 9

Postby Celeith » Thu Aug 19, '10, 9:21 am

Atlinsmere and myself have decided to take it upon ourselves to have a drawing contest. Our works are still in process and will be placed in this topic later today but for those who are anxious about this contest just have patience. We're both dedicated artists in our own way and this is just for fun.

Just vote for and comment on the piece of artwork that you like the best and basically we'll see where this goes from there. If Atlinsmere has anything else to contribute to this topic before the contest begins he'll place his thoughts in the next post.

Please don't vote until the drawings are entered. Thank you.

Kaloes
Last edited by Celeith on Thu Aug 19, '10, 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Re: Drawing Contest: Atlinsmere vs Kaloes

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 19, '10, 9:25 am

Only thing I can say is... let the best man win..

Also, mine is taking a long time, but those base drawings helped... A LOT!
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Celeith » Thu Aug 19, '10, 11:06 pm

This is my entry for the contest. I call it Celeith's fun time at the beach. I chose to draw Celeith's dark side for this image cause even though she is evil, even evil girls like to go to the beach and relax. I put in alot of work into this piece of art and will hope to be drawing many more in the future.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 19, '10, 11:10 pm

Here's my entry for our contest. As you can see, it's me, Ami, and the new guy I created, Matt. Yes, this is the guy who's Journal you've been reading. =P I spent a great deal of time on this. This particular pose with Chris and Ami was inspired by this image. This is my new original style, and so far I'm pretty happy with it, even though it took a lot of time.
Atlinsmere

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Aug 20, '10, 1:24 am

Dude... Demon Celieth in a swimsuit is hot. If it's against the rules for us to vote then I guess you lose a vote Kal. >.>
Atlinsmere

Postby Celeith » Fri Aug 20, '10, 3:27 am

Atlinsmere wrote:Dude... Demon Celieth in a swimsuit is hot. If it's against the rules for us to vote then I guess you lose a vote Kal. >.>

Hah I hear that.. I don't feel as if we should vote for ourselves. Anyways as well as votes we need comments in this topic.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Postby Espiga » Fri Aug 20, '10, 5:46 am

Hello. I voted for Kaloes. Although I'm not an artist by any stretch of the word, I know a bit about design (designing stuff like packaging and newspaper ads, etc in Photoshop was my job before the economy went to crap and I lost it), so I'll be judging based on that sort of knowledge.

Also note, that I tend to be kind of harsh when judging, but please don't take it personally. I love to see people challenge themselves, as it helps them grow in their particular field, and I feel one of the best ways to do that is to take constructive criticism and work with it.

Without further ado, here's what I have to say.

Kaloes: For the image itself, I have relatively little negative to say about it. Proportionally, your character looks more "correct" than the ones featured in Atlinsmere's entry. Perhaps some more muscle tone, but otherwise, it's a well-drawn image, if a bit rough. The problem comes in the colouration. You use solid colours, which doesn't help create a sense of depth perception. Add some shading to your images and you can help bring your characters to life in ways you've never managed before. Otherwise, it just looks like you took a black + white drawing and then coloured it in with MS Paint's paint bucket tool.

The eyes are really pretty though. Nice work, overall.

Atlinsmere: I both like and dislike the hairstyles. On the plus side, they were drawn exceptionally well. You mention these are characters you've designed in the past (as did Kaloes), so I'm not arguing against the hairstyles at all in that sense. Maybe it's just that I'm a bit of an outsider looking in on your work (as opposed to a tight community that's used to your art style), but I'd like to see a bit more variety. You did so with the characters' tops, to some extent, so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a hairstyle other than "disheveled, medium length and somewhat pointy." The reason I voted Kaloes over you, however, is that her piece seemed to be more proportionate. For example of what I mean, look at the arm of your character on the right, the one gripping the can of soda/beer/V8/whatever. It looks stubby compared to the character's body length, as if you wanted to draw him holding something but were worried about going too far with it. Furthermore, this piece also suffers from a lack of shading, though from reading your submission post, it could have been a lack of time. Your avatar is great proof that you know how to incorporate shading into your pieces, and it shines because of it. It was disappointing that you didn't have it here, because I was fully expecting your piece to trounce Kaloes'. (No offense, Kal!)

Anyway, I hope you guys don't take my words the wrong way. I can't draw to save my life, so you're both better at it than I am, if that makes you feel any better!
The filesize rules are way too small for my sig, so click here to see it instead. :(
Espiga
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 17

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Aug 20, '10, 6:02 am

Espiga wrote:Atlinsmere: I both like and dislike the hairstyles. On the plus side, they were drawn exceptionally well. You mention these are characters you've designed in the past (as did Kaloes), so I'm not arguing against the hairstyles at all in that sense. Maybe it's just that I'm a bit of an outsider looking in on your work (as opposed to a tight community that's used to your art style), but I'd like to see a bit more variety. You did so with the characters' tops, to some extent, so it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a hairstyle other than "disheveled, medium length and somewhat pointy."

That's understandable. I'll keep this in mind in my future works.

For example of what I mean, look at the arm of your character on the right, the one gripping the can of soda/beer/V8/whatever. It looks stubby compared to the character's body length, as if you wanted to draw him holding something but were worried about going too far with it.

He's a new design I created last night. I understand and see what you mean, but I wanted it to look different instead of just at his side. But yeah, second drawing of Matt should improve some, I might even draw him without his hat. ^_^

Furthermore, this piece also suffers from a lack of shading, though from reading your submission post, it could have been a lack of time. Your avatar is great proof that you know how to incorporate shading into your pieces, and it shines because of it. It was disappointing that you didn't have it here, because I was fully expecting your piece to trounce Kaloes'. (No offense, Kal!)

I could have coloured it if I wanted to, it's just that after spending approximately seven hours drawing it. I said that's it, I'm done! Hence why there's no shading. I do plan to hopefully colour it in the future though, just not for this contest.

Anyway, I hope you guys don't take my words the wrong way. I can't draw to save my life, so you're both better at it than I am, if that makes you feel any better!

Don't worry, the reason why I post my art online is because I want people to be a critic and tell me what they think. Harsh or bad, I try to improve on those areas. Heck, even the good areas. So thanks for saying what you did. It helps me out as an artist. ^_^

The reason I voted Kaloes over you, however, is that her piece seemed to be more proportionate.

She's a dude, Esp. xD You are forgiven. =P
Atlinsmere

Postby Espiga » Fri Aug 20, '10, 6:06 am

She's a dude, Esp. xD You are forgiven. =P

You'd think I'd have been smart enough to look at the little gender icon.

That's what you'd get for thinking. :(
The filesize rules are way too small for my sig, so click here to see it instead. :(
Espiga
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 17

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Aug 20, '10, 6:12 am

haha I wouldn't worry too much about it. Knowing Kal he won't kill you. =P
Atlinsmere

Next

Return to Casual Conversation