Midway files backruptcy

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Midway files backruptcy

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 13, '09, 11:53 pm

Not long ago, we had some discussion on game companies that were struggling in this economy. Midway was one of the ones mentioned. Well, now their US branch has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Chapter 11, if you're not familiar with it, means they want to continue operating but need protection to reorganize the company.

This filing seems kind of strange when reading that link, because it mentions several recent games that have sold millions of copies. There has also been talk of a new Mortal Kombat movie in the works. The company apparently has some large past debts they need to make up, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sat Feb 14, '09, 10:55 am

Thats interesting to know. Its kinda hard to believe that Midway being a fairly successful company could ever come under the condition of Bankruptcy. But the economy is starting to collapse I guess. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Feb 24, '09, 9:39 pm

That's troubling news. I hope Midway can come out of this okay. It looks like so many companies are having troubles now. The gaming industry could suffer from all this economic problems as so many other people are doing. I hope the economy picks up and starts doing better soon.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lemina » Tue Feb 24, '09, 11:51 pm

Tragic news indeed. It's not like they're giving up completely, so all hope is not lost yet. Let's cross our fingers for them and for every company that is struggling.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby LordShibas » Sat Feb 28, '09, 12:46 pm

I can't remember the last good game Midway has made. Maybe someone could tell me.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Sat Feb 28, '09, 12:52 pm

Neither can I :rofl: I know they were quite successful with their arcade games but who goes to the arcades now days. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Darkil » Sat Feb 28, '09, 8:35 pm

Lol what arcades? Those a rare breed... This doesn't surprise me really, Midway has made some good games but overall they haven't had any gems worth speaking of [in terms of numbers]. I wonder if making a new movie would be a wise choice seeing as it may break them completely. Don't forget Final Fantasy The Spirits Within for example. Square was on top of the world and due to that one movie, they needed to merge after trying to recoop those losses.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby LordShibas » Sun Mar 1, '09, 1:36 pm

I never saw Final Fantasy The Spirits Within. I heard it was pretty bad though. Advent Children on the other hand was to my liking.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sun Mar 1, '09, 6:02 pm

I thought Spirits Within was okay. The biggest problem with it was that the Final Fantasy name shouldn't have been on it. It's got nothing do with anything remotely related. They just spent way, way too much making it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 2, '09, 9:01 pm

Well, it seems Mortal Kombat is not going to play much of a role in Midway's comeback. According to IGN, the company is looking to sell off the franchise. If they do, I wonder how much they'll get for it and who will buy it. Maybe Capcom would be interested?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to In the News