Still got VHS?

Discussion of television, movies, and other forms of moving pictures.

Still got VHS?

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 4, '08, 10:17 pm

I've noticed that VHS video tapes have almost completely disappeared from stores now. Oh, there are still the blank tapes for recording and places like dollar stores sell older movies on VHS. But I haven't seen a new movie come out on VHS in a couple of years now. Everything's moved to DVD or those other newer formats.

So, do you still have any VHS tapes or a player? If so, do you use them often or just rarely?

For my part, I still have a lot of tapes, but I hardly ever watch them. I've been taping some new shows that I might want to watch again some day if I ever have time, but I hardly ever do that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Dec 6, '08, 3:36 am

I still have a lot of VHS tapes and play them when I have time, which is not very often. I see a lot of them for sale in some places or bargain stores like Dollar Stores, etc. Usually almost everything I buy these days is on DVD.

I saw a commercial the other night about a family that had just bought a blu ray system, or something, and they really played it up about how it made their home seem like a movie theatre now. I guess this is the wave of the future.

I like progress, but I kinda wish they would stop making these things so fast. Every time I get used to one thing, they come along with something newer. It also gets expensive having to buy all these different systems, gadgets, etc. for each new invention.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Dec 9, '08, 6:55 am

Yeah, we still have ours. And we still use it. All those old movies that people don't see fit to convert to the newer CDs. We still have one of those old rewinding devices. XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Dec 9, '08, 9:56 am

You know, back in my day when I was growing up, we used these machines called VCRs, they played these big square boxes which we called VHSs which had these videos taped on them. Back in my day we also watched Disney movies. XD
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby hugues » Tue Dec 9, '08, 9:37 pm

Last time I moved I threw out 3 giant garbage bags filled with VHS tapes. I only kept the video game themed ones (i.e. Pac Man Christmas, How to Score Points on Nintendo Games). OK, and a couple boxed sets that I couldn't bear to throw out because they were so darn pricey at the time.

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I still have a lot of VHS tapes and play them when I have time, which is not very often. I see a lot of them for sale in some places or bargain stores like Dollar Stores, etc. Usually almost everything I buy these days is on DVD.

I see VHS tapes at garage sales all the time - 25:2c: to a buck a piece... sometimes just in a box labeled "free".
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Re: Still got VHS?

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 4:29 pm

I love my VHS tapes. I still have my VHS tapes but most of them are anime vhs's and I don't get rid of any of my anime stuff. I still have a VCR but it's not hooked up. I'd like to get a dvd/vcr mixed things. But then again when I moved out, I took my moms RCA Disc player (Those old floppy disc type things you had to insert and pull out then switch sides halfway through)

Gotta love old stuff :D
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby GhostVoices » Sun Jun 28, '09, 9:04 pm

I still have a few VHS players in the house, and I do watch some tapes from time to time...but not as much as I should be!

In fact, maybe tonight i'll go watch an old Slayers VHS tape, since it's been like 5 years since I last watched it.
http://astralvoidrecords.blogspot.com For the best in Music,Games,Movies, Books, and more!
GhostVoices
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 28, '09, 10:03 pm

A few weeks ago, we got a DVD/VHS combo that allows dubbing from one to the other. So now I've been converting a lot of my old VHS tapes to DVD recordings. I found some that had stuff I'd recorded on them way back in 1989. It made me realize just how long I'd really had some of these things.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 29, '09, 5:10 am

We still have a couple of VCR's. My parents have their Toshiba and I have a TV/VCR combo unit. Kind of sorry to admit I've only watched one VHS tape so far this year. DVD though less sturdy is just such a more convenient format.

We've donated a whole bunch of VHS tapes to thrift stores. Everytime we get a movie on DVD that we already have on VHS we get rid of the VHS tape. Most of the tapes I personally have kept are anime, game related, or miscellaneous programs recorded back when I was a kid. My mom actually wanted to get rid of all the miscellaneous recording tapes, but I really want to watch through them all again sometime if for nothing more than the sake of nostalgia. Plus there were some neat old commercials I'd like to copy off of them. :wink:

Actually in the market for a good VCR with S-Video output so I can get the best possible video quality when I do eventually start copying video clips from the VHS's. Use to own such a VCR years ago, but I shoved a tape into it a bit to hard and managed to break some plastic gears that controlled the loader mechanism. :(
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Lucas » Mon Jun 29, '09, 9:28 am

Yeah I own heaps of old anime tapes and action movies. I also own a DVD video player but I rarely watch my tapes though.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Next

Return to Screen Scene