mice to kill snakes

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

mice to kill snakes

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Dec 5, '13, 9:46 am

About 2000 deceased mice have been parachuted over Guam to help get rid of snakes there:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12 ... nakes?lite

Hmm, this is kind of disgusting in a way when you think about it. As much as I hate snakes and would not want to be there where there seem to be so many snakes, I kind of feel sorry that all those mice had to die for something like this. Wasn't there a better way to get rid of the snakes. Maybe use fake mice or mice robots or something??

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: mice to kill snakes

Postby S4Blade » Thu Dec 5, '13, 12:15 pm

I would love to see a video of the 2000 parachuting mice. I hope they post a video of it.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: mice to kill snakes

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Dec 5, '13, 4:18 pm

The problem here is that the brown tree snakes are an invasive species, and they have no natural predators on Guam. So they've been able to breed pretty much without anything to stop them and they've been wrecking the ecosystems over there by eating a lot of the rare birds species and causing other problems. They've tried other methods to get the invasive snakes under control, and so far nothing has worked. These mice are pumped with tylenol, which is lethal to these particular snakes at 80 mg. So the hope is that the snakes will eat the mice instead of the rare birds, and die that way. And for that…you need actual mice, not dummies or robots, that will smell like prey to the snakes so they're induced to eat them.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Amazing Animals