Metalheads unite!

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Sep 9, '08, 3:43 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:I think some of the names of some of these groups should raise some cause for concern. Like names stated in posts above such as "Through The Eyes Of The Dead", "3 inches of Blood", "Bullet For My Valentine", "Thine Eyes Bleed", etc., etc., etc. :yaknow: This all sounds very dark, depressing, uninspiring, and not a lot of fun. I think that is the exact opposite of what music should be, but that's just my opinion.

Caged Wolf, that was a great link. :clap: Thanks for sharing it with us. I agree with some of it regarding the personalities, etc., however, I also think different types of people, personalites can love different types of music too. I know unwealthy people who love opera as much as wealthy people do. I know some people who love country music that certainly are not shy at all, and so on, and on.

I think the main thing is that many forms of music is important to all different types and peoples and loved by the same.

Well, there's going to be some dark and depressing in every genre of music out there. I've heard plenty of rock and opera that's kind of sad. I'm not into any of those that you mentioned specifically, so I don't know if the music they write is as dark as the band names imply, but if you listen to power metal (which as I said, is my favorite subgenre), it's often not very dark and depressing and can be downright inspiring in some ways. I'm going to cite the following line, which I've used in my signature before...

"Dancing on the path and singing, now you got away, you can reach the goals that you have set from now on, every day, there is no way you would go back now, oh no, those days are past, life is waiting for the one who loves to live, and it's not a secret."-Sonata Arctica, 'Victoria's Secret'.

I think that line is both beautiful and inspiring. A lot of Sonata Arctica is of this nature, and it's as much poetry, both happy and sad, as it is music, which is the reason I love them so much. But of course, we all expect different things from music.

As for the link, nothing like that can be 100% true, as I know people whose personalities/music tastes don't fit into that study. I'm not particularly wealthy but I have heard opera I like, mostly Wagner. I don't think I'm shy, but there's a couple country songs out there I like. I love rock, both classic and new, but I don't think I'd consider myself rebellious. But regardless, I found the article interesting and to be true, but far from universally.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Metalheads unite!

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 10, '08, 12:18 am

LordKaiok wrote:First off, \m/. Now that that's done...I would like for this topic to be a discussion of the many genres of metal, such as Power, Death, Black, Progressive, and many others. Bands of the genres should also be talked about, as well as reasons as to why you enjoy listening to them. Maybe this will allow some of us to branch out, and discover new bands that we've never heard of.

My personal favorite type of metal is Power metal. I enjoy the beautiful melodies with the amazing fantasy backgrounds that most of the songs embody. A few of the bands I listen to for power metal include: Stratovarius, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, and Kamelot. Of course there are others, but these are just my favorites.

Black and Death metal are a close second due to their dark sound. Dark Tranquility and Children of Bodom are my favorites in this genre. They embody the darkness that this genre revolves around, while having a very beautiful sound to go along with it that sets them apart from many of the other black/death metal bands.

Since I am not very familiar with the different types of Metal, it would be interesting to hear a little more about them if someone would care to go into more detail.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby LordKaiok » Wed Sep 10, '08, 6:34 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:
LordKaiok wrote:First off, \m/. Now that that's done...I would like for this topic to be a discussion of the many genres of metal, such as Power, Death, Black, Progressive, and many others. Bands of the genres should also be talked about, as well as reasons as to why you enjoy listening to them. Maybe this will allow some of us to branch out, and discover new bands that we've never heard of.

My personal favorite type of metal is Power metal. I enjoy the beautiful melodies with the amazing fantasy backgrounds that most of the songs embody. A few of the bands I listen to for power metal include: Stratovarius, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, and Kamelot. Of course there are others, but these are just my favorites.

Black and Death metal are a close second due to their dark sound. Dark Tranquility and Children of Bodom are my favorites in this genre. They embody the darkness that this genre revolves around, while having a very beautiful sound to go along with it that sets them apart from many of the other black/death metal bands.

Since I am not very familiar with the different types of Metal, it would be interesting to hear a little more about them if someone would care to go into more detail.

Well....heh. This is going to be difficult. I think it'd probably just be easier to list a few bands that fit each type so you can look them up on your own.

Heavy - Iron Maiden, Ozzy
Power - Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian
Death - Death, Emperor
Black - Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir
Thrash - Slayer, Job for a Cowboy
Alternative - None off the top of my head, sorry
Progressive - Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment
Viking - Amon Amarth
Doom - Gorgoroth (DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS BAND. EVER. THEY ARE FRIGHTENING), Deicide

And then you get to the fun bands, those that fall into multiple categories:

Power Death Thrash - Children of Bodom
Power Black - Dark Tranquillity, In Flames

I'm sure there are others, but these are just a few examples to explain a few of the different sub-genres of metal.

Happy Listening!
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 21

Postby luke » Wed Sep 10, '08, 7:09 pm

emperor? a death metal band? really?

black - mayhem, bathory, or emperor ("anthems to the welkin at dusk")
thrash/street - just listen to "reign in blood" by slayer. the song "raining blood" is the end all be all.
doom/stoner - sleep, eyehategod
grind - napalm death ("scum" or "from enslavement to obliteration"), discordance axis ("inalienable dreamless")
power - manowar (HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN MENTIONED), rhapsody, blind guardian

listen to gorgoroth, as well. i might make a metal mix and post it via sendspace or something.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby LordKaiok » Wed Sep 10, '08, 7:16 pm

...Okay, yeah, you're right. Dunno why I put them in the Death Metal category. Wasn't thinking.
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 10, '08, 8:04 pm

Thanks, LordKaiok and Luke, for those group names, etc. I'll do some research and see what all I can find. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 10, '08, 9:48 pm

I'll add a few of my own that haven't been mentioned...

Power-DragonForce, Freedom Call, Kamelot, Sonata Arctica (I know LordKaiok listed them already, but I love them so much so I have to put them here!)
Progressive-Shadow Gallery, Tool, Vanden Plas
Death-Opeth
Heavy-Wolf, Iced Earth

And a mix...

Power progressive-Symphony X
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Thu Sep 11, '08, 9:17 am

Dunno if any of you like Nile but they are a death metal band one of my favourites.
A good song by them would be "Beneath Eternal Oceans of Sand" :wink: if yous are interested in 'em of course.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby LordKaiok » Tue Aug 31, '10, 10:27 am

Okay. It has been a long long time since I've posted in this. Hoorah for getting reaaaaaaally busy! And what better way to revive this than by listing a few bands I've been listening to lately, as well as admitting my metal tastes have changed!

I've been listening to a LOT of doujin music lately, mainly revolving around Touhou. I know I shouldn't, but the music is so damn good. Check out Crow's Claw if you wanna hear some examples, because they are friggin amazing.

I've also been listening to more Iron Maiden (their new album is great), and I even got the chance to see them live a little earlier this year. They are my favorite band. I'm sure you can imagine how that went. I guess Dream Theater opening was okay too =P

Haven't been listening to a lot of death/black metal lately. I seem to be growing out of them. Dark Tranquillity, Cannibal Corpse, Kataklysm, and Six Feet Under still get plenty of play time, though.

Any newish bands anyone been listening to? Trying to expand my library again, because I lost almost everything when I got into an accident last year and my iPod exploded =(.
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Aug 31, '10, 10:40 am

Try SpineShank, tis an unknown band to many. They got sweet music.

=D
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

PreviousNext

Return to Tootin' Tunes