Metalheads unite!

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Metalheads unite!

Postby LordKaiok » Fri Sep 5, '08, 10:42 pm

First off, \m/. Now that that's done...I would like for this topic to be a discussion of the many genres of metal, such as Power, Death, Black, Progressive, and many others. Bands of the genres should also be talked about, as well as reasons as to why you enjoy listening to them. Maybe this will allow some of us to branch out, and discover new bands that we've never heard of.

My personal favorite type of metal is Power metal. I enjoy the beautiful melodies with the amazing fantasy backgrounds that most of the songs embody. A few of the bands I listen to for power metal include: Stratovarius, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, and Kamelot. Of course there are others, but these are just my favorites.

Black and Death metal are a close second due to their dark sound. Dark Tranquility and Children of Bodom are my favorites in this genre. They embody the darkness that this genre revolves around, while having a very beautiful sound to go along with it that sets them apart from many of the other black/death metal bands.
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 21

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Sep 6, '08, 1:47 am

Metal FTW! I love metal; it's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. I have a particular passion for Metallica, and Apocalyptica is a new favorite of mine - their classical takes on Metallica's songs are just stunning, but I also like their metal songs, too, like I don't Care, which you can watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjiRlIESeOY

I also like old metal bands, like Faith No More, AC/DC, etc.

I just like the angst of metal. Listening to it actually makes me feel so much better when I've had a stressful day, and I've additionally been artistically inspired while listening to it. :bouncy:
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Re: Metalheads unite!

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Sep 6, '08, 5:49 am

LordKaiok wrote: A few of the bands I listen to for power metal include: Stratovarius, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, and Kamelot. Of course there are others, but these are just my favorites.

Love all four of those bands. :mrgreen:

I should've started a topic like this long ago...my signature is always that Okami banner because I love that game, and a line from a favorite song of mine, generally a metal song...but right now, it's Galahad, which is more prog-rock, but they could be considered prog-metal too.

But let's see...my favorite metal genre is easily power/speed metal, depending on how picky you want to get with terminology and overlap. The speed coupled with some of the artful melodies are wonderful, especially since they often seem like they shouldn't really go together, but somehow they do. I don't like to name a favorite band, but if I'm being honest with myself and others, I have to say it's Sonata Arctica. The reason is simple...their lyrics. Tony Kakko's lyrical writing just flows beautifully like poetry. I can't get enough of it, and even though I've already seen them in concert, I intend to again the next chance I get. But others include DragonForce, Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Wolf and Symphony X. Then plenty of others. This is the stuff I listen to regularly, it just gives me energy and puts me in a good mood, for the most part.

I guess second would be progressive metal...bands like Porcupine Tree, Tool, Symphony X (they mix power and prog), Dream Theater (Scenes from a Memory and back, anyway, not a fan of their new stuff...), and Galahad. Generally I listen to them because they often, for whatever reason, make me think. I tend to go to them when in a contemplative mood, but they get a lot of more casual listening too.

Though, I also like thrash and death metal too, though to a lesser extent. Specifics here would be Slayer and Opeth (who I've also seen live.) These are nice after a stressful day, no doubt, but I tend not to listen to them as often since they're a bit more mood-specific for me.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Metalheads unite!

Postby LordKaiok » Sat Sep 6, '08, 7:18 am

Caged Wolf wrote: A few of the bands I listen to for power metal include: Stratovarius, Edguy, Sonata Arctica, and Kamelot. Of course there are others, but these are just my favorites.

Love all four of those bands. :mrgreen:

I should've started a topic like this long ago...my signature is always that Okami banner because I love that game, and a line from a favorite song of mine, generally a metal song...but right now, it's Galahad, which is more prog-rock, but they could be considered prog-metal too.

But let's see...my favorite metal genre is easily power/speed metal, depending on how picky you want to get with terminology and overlap. The speed coupled with some of the artful melodies are wonderful, especially since they often seem like they shouldn't really go together, but somehow they do. I don't like to name a favorite band, but if I'm being honest with myself and others, I have to say it's Sonata Arctica. The reason is simple...their lyrics. Tony Kakko's lyrical writing just flows beautifully like poetry. I can't get enough of it, and even though I've already seen them in concert, I intend to again the next chance I get. But others include DragonForce, Gamma Ray, Kamelot, Wolf and Symphony X. Then plenty of others. This is the stuff I listen to regularly, it just gives me energy and puts me in a good mood, for the most part.

I guess second would be progressive metal...bands like Porcupine Tree, Tool, Symphony X (they mix power and prog), Dream Theater (Scenes from a Memory and back, anyway, not a fan of their new stuff...), and Galahad. Generally I listen to them because they often, for whatever reason, make me think. I tend to go to them when in a contemplative mood, but they get a lot of more casual listening too.

Though, I also like thrash and death metal too, though to a lesser extent. Specifics here would be Slayer and Opeth (who I've also seen live.) These are nice after a stressful day, no doubt, but I tend not to listen to them as often since they're a bit more mood-specific for me.

I'm jealous :(. I haven't seen Sonata or Opeth, though I'd love to see both. I've seen Slayer, though =D. That show was a BLAST...a bit painful, though.

Hell, I might as well mention who I've seen, and how many times.

Slayer, Lamb of God (3 times), Children of Bodom (twice), Trans Siberian Orchestra (twice), Machine Head, Hatebreed, Behemoth, Gojira, Wake, God Forbid, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Mastodon, 3 Inches of Blood, The Who, CCR, A7X, Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, Thine Eyes Bleed. I've seen 3 j-rock bands as well, but unfortunatly I do not remember their names.

And...how could I forget to mention Symphony X! I feel ashamed.
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Sep 6, '08, 8:31 am

Wow! That's a lot of shows! I only have the two I mentioned. I'd go to more, but A) I lack access to them due to location and the fact that I have no car, and B) I'm a college student with plans to go to grad school, so I certainly don't have the money to go to all that many. So I have to be selective with who I go see and where. Though once I get to grad school, I may have easier access and potentially more money to go see more bands, depending on where I end up.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Lucas » Sat Sep 6, '08, 12:56 pm

Yeah and another Metalhead! Hi-Five that mate. I love: Metallica, Pantera, Disturbed, and Nile to name a few. :yes:

Metal is awesome. I'm glad to know a few of you guys and gals here are into it too. :wink:
Last edited by Lucas on Wed Sep 1, '10, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Sep 6, '08, 4:50 pm

Here's something interesting I found that's kind of relevant to this topic...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080905/lf_nm_life/britain_music_dc

You know, I think it's pretty true, given myself, other people I know, their personalities and musical tastes.

Oh, I did not mention Disturbed. I only recently got into them over the summer, but I'm sure glad I did.

Wolf Bird

Postby LordKaiok » Sun Sep 7, '08, 6:08 pm

Caged Wolf wrote:Here's something interesting I found that's kind of relevant to this topic...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080905/lf_nm_life/britain_music_dc

You know, I think it's pretty true, given myself, other people I know, their personalities and musical tastes.

Oh, I did not mention Disturbed. I only recently got into them over the summer, but I'm sure glad I did.

Woah. That link...appears to be true. Never really thought about it, but it makes sense. That's amazing!
LordKaiok
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby luke » Mon Sep 8, '08, 10:05 pm

count grishnakh would not approve of/ov this thread.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Sep 9, '08, 6:47 am

Interesting topic and discussion.

First, let me say that I am not a fan of this type of music. If anyone else is, though, that is fine by me. To each his own.

For starters, I think some of the names of some of these groups should raise some cause for concern. Like names stated in posts above such as "Through The Eyes Of The Dead", "3 inches of Blood", "Bullet For My Valentine", "Thine Eyes Bleed", etc., etc., etc. :yaknow: This all sounds very dark, depressing, uninspiring, and not a lot of fun. I think that is the exact opposite of what music should be, but that's just my opinion.

Caged Wolf, that was a great link. :clap: Thanks for sharing it with us. I agree with some of it regarding the personalities, etc., however, I also think different types of people, personalites can love different types of music too. I know unwealthy people who love opera as much as wealthy people do. I know some people who love country music that certainly are not shy at all, and so on, and on.

I think the main thing is that many forms of music is important to all different types and peoples and loved by the same.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Next

Return to Tootin' Tunes