Do you skip to the end?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Do you skip to the end?

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 27, '07, 3:02 am

When you're reading a book, do you skip chapters or skip ahead and read the ending before the rest of the story? This primarily applies to fiction books, but I suppose it could apply to others as well.

I try to avoid doing this when reading for entertainment, but sometimes I can't help myself and will take a quick peek at the ending. ;)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Muffin Man » Tue Nov 27, '07, 4:14 am

I try to refrain from doing this, although!
I do, and always do, read books out of chronological order on purpose, if it's a three part series, I'll read the end first and work my way back to learn of the origins on how everything happened, I find it much more entertaining this way.
Some may call me an oddball, sure, but I blame George Lucas and his morphing of my mind when it was young, on how a storyline is made. :lol:
Typos are my mortal enemy, they should be your's also.
Muffin Man
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 2

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 27, '07, 5:19 am

I try not to, but some of the books I've read recently have actually had the end at the beginning. You know that little bit they might share with you before you start to read it? That part gave away the ending. I found it completely pointless.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Nov 27, '07, 5:28 am

At times I will peek ahead to see what the ending is, and whether or not it is a happy ending or whatever. I try not to do this because I think it spoils the ending somewhat but it is hard to resist not doing so.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 27, '07, 10:37 pm

I used to read the very last few lines of the book, since that usually "sums it up". Then I'd continue reading as if I hadn't seen it. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 28, '07, 2:31 am

SparkyIII wrote:I try not to, but some of the books I've read recently have actually had the end at the beginning. You know that little bit they might share with you before you start to read it? That part gave away the ending. I found it completely pointless.

I've never actually come across a book like that, but I definitely wouldn't like it. They say the journey can be as much fun as the destination, but they should at least try to preserve the mystery.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby heinzel » Thu Nov 29, '07, 4:17 am

Never!
I love reading!
Probably that's why this is one of to few things my self control is enough sufficient for.
heinzel
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 8

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 29, '07, 11:36 pm

I try to stop myself from peeking ahead. Sometimes when I get tempted, I put the book aside for a little while. It is hard to resist, but taking my mind off the story usually helps.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Leapin' Library