Music and CPR

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Music and CPR

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Apr 1, '08, 10:44 pm

I heard about this on TV and did a search for info online about it. It seems that the new way of helping with CPR involves the song "Staying Alive" by The Bee Gees. Everyone remember that song? I believe it was made famous in the old John Travolta movie named "Saturday Night Fever". It's one of the songs that is very hard to forget as it has such a good beat and it keeps showing up everywhere all the time.

The article says that the popular song "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen also has the right beat for this CPR use.

I thought the article was very interesting, and also very informative. This way is much easier to remember than the other way of CPR, I think. What's your opinion?

http://firstaid.about.com/od/cprbasics/ ... r_tips.htm
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Apr 2, '08, 4:14 am

I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, I'd hate to be given CPR by someone relying on one of these tunes, only for them to forget the beat. That could go really badly for whoever's getting CPR.

It is neat that these pieces of music have the necessary beat, but still... I wouldn't rely on that.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Apr 2, '08, 6:28 am

Thats a bit ironic wouldn't you say? Stayin alive!
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Apr 2, '08, 6:31 pm

Thoul wrote:I don't think that's a good idea. I mean, I'd hate to be given CPR by someone relying on one of these tunes, only for them to forget the beat. That could go really badly for whoever's getting CPR.

It is neat that these pieces of music have the necessary beat, but still... I wouldn't rely on that.

Granted, it may not be the best available option, but I think this is meant for the ordinary person who may not have had very much CPR training or the person who just simply may not know what to do at a time like this, or who may become flustered and might forget what to do otherwise. Sometimes in the middle of a crisis people just draw a blank, or forget. In those cases, if they can do this by remembering the beat of a song, then I think that's great. Of course, the best scenario in a case like this would be hopefully to have someone fully trained in CPR on hand, but that may not always be the case. Anything or any means that could help save a life is worth trying, I think.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Tootin' Tunes