More Control Panel, Posting tweaks

Site and forum news announced on the front page.

More Control Panel, Posting tweaks

Postby Thoul » Sat Jan 26, '08, 6:10 am

I'm never quite happy with leaving things alone, so I've added some more features to the Member Control Panel and the posting form.

Members with 25 Karma can go to the Profile tab of the Member Control Panel and find two new options for Default Text Color and Default Text Face. These allow you to select a color and font to be automatically used in all your posts (excluding fan fiction). It's just a little something to let you personalize your posts a little more easily.

On the Preferences tab, there is a "Disable default post formatting" option. If you don't want to see others' default colors or text faces, you can turn this option on and the posts will appear as normal.

On the posting forms around the boards, I've added a Text Face drop down. This allows you to use a different font type in your posts. [face=Comic Sans MS]Like this sentence, which should appear to you in Comic Sans MS, if that's installed on your computer.[/face] The color drop down list has been replaced with a Text Color button. When you click that, a color swatch will appear: click a color to add it to your post.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Sun Jan 27, '08, 1:57 am

In the quick reply box, the text fonts don't show in the box (but they do if you previre it/hit the "reply" button).

Either way, this is pretty fun to mess around with, though I think the brighter colors would make posts harder to read. Hopefully no one does that... :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 27, '08, 4:18 am

Thanks for mentioning the font list in the quick reply. I overlooked that, but it is fixed now.

though I think the brighter colors would make posts harder to read. Hopefully no one does that...

Hopefully it won't be a problem. That's the main reason for the option to disable the formatting though, so that's there if it does.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Jan 27, '08, 7:11 am

Oh no. Now I'm getting people with faces. lol

In front of most peoples comments it says something like:
[face=:de2d0f8a6d]

And everyone's is different. That one I got from Thoul.
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Sun Jan 27, '08, 8:13 am

I thought I had that fixed, but apparently a file didn't upload. It should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing it up.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Reno » Mon Jan 28, '08, 2:19 am

Heh, I was wondering why everyone's posts were suddenly colourful, alas, another awesome veteran-only addition.

Gah! I hate being new! It's always the same! After they're done with the kind words in the introduction page, they start throwing these restrictions on you, like, "Oh, what's that? You want colour do you? All right, here's a nice shade of black just for you, newbie!" or, "Personal title? What would a newb like you be needin' wit' a Personal title? Everyone knows you're all the same!" :cry:

Kidding :wink:

Seriously though, glad I joined when I did, and can't wait to access those forbidden features! :)
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jan 28, '08, 10:16 am

Yes, Thoul waits until we have new members before adding cool stuff. :D

Actually, I think it's probably just bad timing on your part (or good timing? since you can start saving up those Karma points). :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 28, '08, 2:51 pm

Just think of it as another reason to keep coming back. ;) Before you know it, you'll be using colors like crazy. :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Jan 28, '08, 11:12 pm

I loves my colors, I'm almost to the second title in my name too!
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Rudo » Tue Jan 29, '08, 7:04 pm

These improvements are really quite fun. Every time I come back to the forum there is something new and interesting going on here. I like that. :proposetoast:
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Return to Site Announcements