Man Stabbed With Master Sword

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Man Stabbed With Master Sword

Postby S4Blade » Fri Mar 7, '14, 11:48 am

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/03/ ... ic-dispute

During a domestic dispute, a man was stabbed with a "still sharp" Master Sword replica. What is the world coming to?
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Man Stabbed With Master Sword

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Mar 7, '14, 1:11 pm

I'm not sure it's 'what's this world coming to?' as much as it is, this sort of thing has always been happening and unfortunately, probably always will be happening on some level.

The weird thing is, though, that violence and violent crimes in the United States has actually been declining.

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2010/06/16/a- ... n-america/
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Fri Mar 7, '14, 8:59 pm

Well that's good to know. I don't watch the real news, so I have no concept. Maybe video games are not the problem, but the answer. You see, people these days are too busy killing people in video games, and they have no time to do it in real life. :idea:

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Fri Mar 7, '14, 9:22 pm

Strange news ! Thanks for the link..
But you know, Vistablade.. some people after are going to title that video games are responsible about some violent things ! :( Maube influenced by thos killings in video games ? That what some people are going to think, unfortunately...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Mar 8, '14, 4:44 am

When GTA 5 came out last year, there was another spate of video games and violence reporting in the media, so...those misconceptions remain. Angry Joe even addressed it in his review of GTA 5.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Sat Mar 8, '14, 8:44 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:When GTA 5 came out last year, there was another spate of video games and violence reporting in the media, so...those misconceptions remain. Angry Joe even addressed it in his review of GTA 5.

Ahhh Angry Joe. I love his reviews.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Sun Mar 9, '14, 9:31 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:When GTA 5 came out last year, there was another spate of video games and violence reporting in the media, so...those misconceptions remain. Angry Joe even addressed it in his review of GTA 5.

Yes, and I'm sure that all those misconceptions are going to remain a lot of years, like it was for so many Entertainment matters before...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Mar 9, '14, 9:44 pm

I think, unfortunately, there's some validity to the idea that video games contribute to a culture of violence, as much as I hate to admit it, I mean, this country at least certainly has a significant level of violent crime and a prevalent gun culture, and having a bunch of kids running around mowing each other down in Call of Duty or whatever all day is certainly going to desensitize some people and that sort of thing, but the most hilarious thing to me about media reporting on video game violence is the sheer lack of understanding on the subject and the almost complete absence of any kind of real causal relationship in the reporting. I remember when they first reported on Adam Lanza's habits after Newtown, and indicated that he played Dance Dance Revolution, as if playing Dance Dance Revolution, or I guess any video game whatsoever, was a predicator of mass murder.

It just really gets me when analysts report on video games and seem to have no context on genre, the general purpose of video games, or have an assumption that only Satanists and people who resemble Bill Gates play video games. I mean, it's not exactly a niche thing anymore, people play games, and yet it seems like the media can't go out and do a little research on what they're actually about. I get that news stations can't devote a lot of time to studying Final Fantasy, there are more important things in the world, but you'd think that they'd devote a little time to the things they were discussing.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby S4Blade » Mon Mar 10, '14, 2:59 am

You are so right Bragatyr. I remember one time when some online media outlet was trashing games due to a recent violent attack, and they were sighting games like Animal Crossing and Mario and Sonic games as (bad influences) I LOLed.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Mar 10, '14, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Mar 10, '14, 2:19 pm

Ha ha, absolutely, we have to protect the citizens of this world from Animal Crossing and Sonic, we don't want kids planting vegetables or saying "YOU'RE TOO SLOW!"
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Next

Return to In the News