Superbug infection

Whether it's new discoveries or explorations of the world, if it's science and not about games, talk about it here.

Superbug infection

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Oct 30, '07, 5:58 pm

Has anyone heard of any reports of this superbug infection in their area? There may be a case in our area. I just heard on the news about it this morning. It's not confirmed as yet. I am trying to listen to the news to hear any further information.

This is scary stuff. A few people have already died from this, I think. Schools are really taking a lot of precautions against it. I hope they find a way to cure this.

It is beginning to seem like it is something new and different and dangerous every year. One year it was the bird flu, which we hardly hear any more about it seems. One year it was a flu vaccine shortage. And now this superbug stuff this year. :yaknow:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 30, '07, 10:24 pm

Superbug? What's that? I haven't heard of it.

I don't put much stock in media coverage of health scares any more after that bird flu debacle. They were trying to scare people with that all the time, but couldn't drop it fast enough once it was "old" news.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 31, '07, 4:27 am

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Wed Oct 31, '07, 7:43 pm

I don't know much about this, other than seeing something about it on Discovery Health sometime back. However, I guess it goes to show that vaccines against common illnesses can cause more harm than help with how these superbugs can mutate.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 31, '07, 9:20 pm

Oh, this is the thing about diseases becoming resistant to treatment. Yeah, that's a bad situation. We've used these drugs so much that now they're losing their effectiveness. Who would have thought that medical treatment might make things worse later like this? :boggled:

Hopefully new treatments will be developed that can counter these advanced bugs and bring them under control. Then in twenty or thirty years, the same thing will probably happen again.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Science Symposium