Lunar

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Lunar

Postby Neithird » Mon Dec 10, '07, 6:11 pm

Have any of you played the Lunar RPGs and if so, what are you opinions of them?

I haven't played any, but I ask because I saw Lunar: Dragon Song in a store this weekend. I didn't even know there was a Lunar DS game.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Tue Dec 11, '07, 2:14 am

I missed out on that series. I always wanted to play Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue, but the store prices were more than I was willing to pay for what was an unknown game at the time.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby lee » Tue Dec 11, '07, 8:05 am

I haven't played any of them but I'm definitely interested since I heard many great reviews for Lunar games.
lee
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 7

Postby hugues » Tue Dec 11, '07, 2:10 pm

If you like Phantasy Star you should like the Lunar series. Different setting but extremely similar play style. The only problem is they're all incredibly overpriced - some are on ebay for more than the original sticker price. However, you can still pick-up Lunar: Silver Star Story for GBA for under $20, it's worth getting.

Apparently I'm the only person on earth without a DS so I haven't tried Dragon Song - heard good things about it though.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby LordShibas » Fri Dec 14, '07, 5:10 pm

The Lunar series is fantastic. One of may favorite series of games. My favorite game of all time is Lunar the Silver Star Story for Sega CD. I love that game to death, must have played it 15 times at least. I then got and played through Lunar Eternal Blue for Sega CD. Great game, but not as good as the original.

Then they made the 2 PS remakes. The Remake of Silver Star Story is very different from the original. It's a great game. I have yet to play the remake of Eternal Blue of PS, but I do have it. I hear it's closer to the Sega CD version than the Silver Star Story remake was.

As for the portable games. DO NOT get Lunar Dragon Song. I hear it's terrible. I've heard few good things about it, and I hear the battle system is horrendous.

As for lunar Legend on GBA, it's another that I have yet to play, but I do own it. I hear it's a better choice than Lunar DS.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 15, '07, 1:55 am

Wait... there's Lunar on GBA? Is it a remake or a new game? I'm confused because hugues mentions Silver Star Story for GBA, but I can't find anything about that in a quick search.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Sat Dec 15, '07, 4:55 pm

The game is called Lunar Legend and it's for the GBA. It has the same characters as the Silver Star Story, and it's kind of a re-make, I think. However, the game has been seriously scaled down from the console games, and I hear it's lacking in a lot of ways. I have yet to try it and see, so take that for what it's worth.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby hugues » Sat Dec 15, '07, 11:19 pm

LordShibas wrote:The game is called Lunar Legend and it's for the GBA. It has the same characters as the Silver Star Story, and it's kind of a re-make, I think.

What I read is that it's a port of the Playstation version (Silver Star Story Complete). The characters and story are the same as the Sega CD version with a few extras (which I assume were introduced on the Playstation). I thought it was a pretty good game.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Neithird » Mon Dec 17, '07, 8:20 pm

So it sounds like the best way to go would be the PlayStation games. Off to eBay it is! ;)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :D
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Chris8282 » Sat Dec 22, '07, 11:51 pm

Asking me whether or not to recommend the Lunar series is like asking you (Topic Creator), do you recommend the Phantasy Star series to someone who hasn't played them.

.. The answer is a definate "YES!"
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Next

Return to Retro Roundup