Lost Cat

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Lost Cat

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon May 25, '09, 9:04 pm

This story of a lost cat that was found using a " cat scan " is sort of weird. I'm glad they found the cat but it sounds like they just about destroyed their house. :dog_laugh:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30823829/ns/today_pets/

Which brings me to another topic .... lost pets. Have you ever lost one of your pets, and if so, how did you find them again?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Lost Cat

Postby Schala Zeal » Wed May 27, '09, 1:28 am

Glad that the kitty turned out okay~ Too bad about the house though. >>

I once lost a cat... He just didn't come home one day. ;_; It's been ten years since I last saw him. My, the years just fly by...
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed May 27, '09, 7:08 pm

I've had a few cats that wandered off like that, too. Sometimes they come back, sometimes not. A few are just wild at heart and love to explore.

When I was little, we had one cat that ran off as soon as brought her home. She returned about two years later.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Wed May 27, '09, 8:17 pm

Thoul wrote:When I was little, we had one cat that ran off as soon as brought her home. She returned about two years later.

She just walked back into your house after a 2-year absence? That's a phenomenal story. Did you ever find out where she was during her time away from the family? I'll bet you were all amazed to see her again after that length of time.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Thoul » Wed May 27, '09, 11:01 pm

Yeah, she just showed up out of the blue one day. When we first got her she was probably about a year old and we also got her mother. My father brought both of them home together, but as soon as he gave them an opening they ran off into the nearby woods. There was no sign of either of them for a couple of years, then one day we looked out the window and there she was (eating, I think, it's been a long time). It was a big surprise for all of us.

We never saw the mother again. There's no telling where they went during those two years, but after coming back she stuck around for many years and had several litters of kittens. She never liked me all that much, but she was really friendly with my father.

I think we still have one or two of her descendants with us today.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Tue Jun 2, '09, 10:28 pm

As someone who has never owned a cat, I find that a remarkable story, including the continued presence of some of her descendants in the family home. :) Maintaining dog breed lines is much more difficult, I believe, and only dedicated breeders seem to manage it.

Continuing our theme of lost pets, I've just come across a BBC news item about the return of a missing Jack Russell terrier, Jake, almost a month after his initial disappearance. His owners witnessed him disappearing into a tunnel while chasing a rabbit. Following an exhaustive but fruitless search, the couple returned home and reported their dog missing. Three weeks went by and they had almost given up hope, when he turned up at a nearby farm, around 500 yards from the spot where they had last seen him. He appeared to be suffering from severe malnutrition.

The vet who treated him believes that Jake became trapped in an underground rabbit warren, only succeeding in escaping after he had lost a quarter of his body weight from the enforced starvation diet. Happily, he seems to have made a complete recovery and become a local celebrity.

The lesson for doggies? Don't go chasing bunnies into burrows. :yes:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 11:12 am

Most of my cats that ran off, never came back. One who was outside was killed by a gang of dogs, and another one broke out through the screen. Luckaly I heard him meowing a few days later at midnight and when I looked outside, he was there with our neighbors female cat. (He was fixed)
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Return to Amazing Animals