Does anyone who grew up in the late 80's remember this song?

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Does anyone who grew up in the late 80's remember this song?

Postby MrKite » Sun Sep 26, '10, 6:31 pm

I've been listening to 80's music all my life (not as much as 70's stuff though, which I'm more of a fan of), and well the other day I discovered a song called Where Are You Now by Jimmy Harnen and Synch. According to various sources, this song went to #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1989, and in all my years of being a fan of 80's music, I have never, ever heard of this song before. There's only two CD's it ever appeared on. Harnen's Can't Fight The Midnight album, which is rare and out of print, and some 80's compilation which is also out of print. If this song went to #10 on the charts, why does it feel like it's so obscure?
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Does anyone who grew up in the late 80's remember this s

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Sep 26, '10, 8:37 pm

I don't remember ever hearing the song, so basically have no idea. As you, I am more a fan of the 70's music, and even the 60's, etc. I'm not very familiar with a lot of the pop/rock music in the 80's. I do like some of it, but not very much.

I did a google search on this song, and it seems that it was first released about 1986 or so and basically bombed! It was then later re-released in 1989 under a different name, etc., and did pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Are_ ... Synch_song)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby MrKite » Mon Sep 27, '10, 12:38 am

Yeah, the original 1986 release was credited to Synch, and it peeked at #77 on the Billboard Hot 100, and the band got dropped from their then record label and decided to call it quits thinking that was the end, but then the song got an unexpected revival, and it got re-released on a new label where the song was now credited to Jimmy Harnen w/ Synch, and reached #10 in June of 1989 apparently.
Last edited by MrKite on Mon Sep 27, '10, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby hugues » Mon Sep 27, '10, 3:36 am

That's crazy, I don't remember this song at all and I'm ashamed to admit that in 1989 I listened to a lot of Top 40 radio.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 27, '10, 10:32 pm

I don't recall it either, so I looked it up a little and found a sample online. It's not familiar; I can't recall ever hearing it before.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby hugues » Tue Sep 28, '10, 2:09 am

I searched for it on YouTube and sure enough after hearing it I remember it. Very typical 80s ballad.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Tanith » Tue Sep 28, '10, 2:35 am

I don't remember it, but after listening to it, it's a very forgettable tune and very dated to the time it was released. I bet it got some airplay in 1989 but not much after that. I also listened to top 40 religiously around that time. I'd tune in every Sunday to listen to the Weekly Top 40 with Rick Dees (it was better than Casey Kasem's countdown).
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Return to Tootin' Tunes