NBA Jam, the most important sports game of the 90’s?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

NBA Jam, the most important sports game of the 90’s?

Postby MrKite » Tue Apr 7, '20, 12:58 am

In case you don’t know, I am not a fan of sports games most of the time. I find many of them either complicated and confusing, and/or just really boring. But that being said, there are some sports games I really enjoy playing. And this is one of them. Even people who aren’t into sports games that much, let alone sports in general think this is one of the best games of all time. And for good reason too! I remember when my older brother rented the Genesis version some time back in 1994. I thought to myself “Why would my older bro rent a sports game? That isn’t like him! He usually rents action-themed games and fighting games!”. Upon playing the game, it’s easy to see why. This game was nearly as popular as Mortal Kombat, or Street Fighter II. Plus let’s not forget all those crazy secret characters in there like George Clinton, Ed Boon, John Tobias, Sal Divita, MCA of the Beastie Boys, Will Smith, DJ Jazzy Jeff and so many more. It’s usually a great game no matter what system you play it on. Whether it be the arcade, Genesis, SNES, even on the Game Gear and Game Boy, you get your money’s worth. NBA Jam Tournament Edition is one of my favorite games on the Sega Saturn too.
Last edited by MrKite on Tue Apr 7, '20, 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: NBA Jam, the most important sports game of the 90’s?

Postby myau56 » Tue Apr 7, '20, 11:59 am

Even if I have never really liked Basketball as a sport, NBA JAM was a great game for me ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby DarkWitchClaire » Tue Apr 7, '20, 2:17 pm

Sports sims are probably my least favorite game genre, but I still enjoy arcade sports games like NBA Jam.

Because NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat use similar hardware, it's possible to swap the sound boards between the two resulting in something like this:
VISUALSHOCK! SPEEDSHOCK! SOUNDSHOCK!
 NOW IS THE TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!
DarkWitchClaire
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 32

Postby MrKite » Tue Apr 7, '20, 3:48 pm

DarkWitchClaire wrote:Sports sims are probably my least favorite game genre, but I still enjoy arcade sports games like NBA Jam.

Because NBA Jam and Mortal Kombat use similar hardware, it's possible to swap the sound boards between the two resulting in something like this:

Whoa, sweet!
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby myau56 » Wed Apr 15, '20, 1:11 pm

Excellent ! The mix of the two games is terrible ! Thank you so much for the link, dear DarkWitchClaire ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to Retro Roundup