Conneticut tragedy

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Conneticut tragedy

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Dec 17, '12, 3:39 am

I suppose by now that many of you have heard or read about the recent school shooting that took place in Conneticut in the USA. Our condolences and prayers go out to all the families of the victims in this shooting and to all those affected in any way by this horrible tragedy.

It is hard to know what to say in a time like this. If anyone here on the board was personally affected by this tragic event in any way please know that we care and you are in our thoughts and prayers each day. :grouphug:

Also if anyone would like to share your thoughts relating to this event please feel free to do so here in a peaceful and respectful manner remembering the rules of the board, etc., and honoring those who lost their lives during this time.

http://news.msn.com/us/names-of-victims ... g-released

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Conneticut tragedy

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 17, '12, 4:34 am

It's a terrible thing whenever an event like this occurs, but this one is all the worse for involving children of such young ages. I've been rather disconnected from news outlets this weekend, so I haven't heard much about it other than second hand information. What little I have heard is enough to know that this was a horrible tragedy.

I don't know the cause of the shooter's rampage, or if that's even known yet, but I hope these events are not used to target the game industry as often happens. No matter what kind of supposedly violent media to which a person is exposed, actions like those of this shooter have to come from some serious issues that cannot be easily dismissed.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Dec 20, '12, 3:52 am

Yeah, I have already seen a few online articles about the shooting and video games. I think I read somewhere that the shooter was a video game fan. Really, I don't see the connection. I mean, I suppose there could be one. Anything is a possibility. But, I don't think the video games are to blame. Something was wrong somewhere but there are many other factors to be looked at and considered before one even gets to the video games in my opinion.

I have also seen some online articles about people now buying armored backpacks and other items for their school children. I suppose that's a good idea, but seriously they are not going to be wearing the back packs all the time in school so although it may be a good idea, there needs to be something else.

I also saw where they want to make schools like it is in some court rooms etc., with scanners and other security items before visitors can even enter the building, which basically I think is a very good idea, or atleast a start. Schools are important buildings since they are full of children and should be protected with every available means.

Anyone have any other comments or opinions to add?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Prince Noah » Fri Dec 21, '12, 1:06 pm

It's just despicable. Is children going to school a sin against God now? Children who had nothing to do with his rage. Nothing at all.

Columbine High School, 16th Century Theater, and now this. And probably more that I forgot to mention. Is it just me, or are these massacres escalating?
Prince Noah
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 22, '12, 7:47 pm

They do seem to be occurring more frequently. Maybe that's because they grab such exhaustive media coverage. Perhaps with each new event, people who are unstable get or reinforce the idea that they could go out and do a similar action in order to become famous or attract attention.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Casual Conversation