Would you consider Wren and Demi...

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Would you consider Wren and Demi...

Postby Thoul » Wed Jan 23, '08, 7:01 am

Wren supposedly designed and constructed Demi sometime between PSII and PSIV. His reasons aren't clear, but that's a subject for another topic. Demi seems to consider herself subservient to Wren in some way from all the "Master Wren" lines she says throughout the game. But, how would you define their relationship? Would you consider Wren and Demi to be father and daughter?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Jan 23, '08, 7:09 am

I always thought of them like two robots in love! :rofl:
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Celeith » Wed Jan 23, '08, 7:31 am

I would consider them as friends. Wren built her as a means to help him keep control of the weather around algo.. but i think wren's creator made a sort of humanish chip for him giving him such qualities *despite the fact he shows it since not being around humans* So i think other than a co-worker as one could say Wren built her so that he wouldn't be lonely in his 1000 year life span
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby newsblade » Wed Jan 23, '08, 10:49 am

Wren built her as a means to help him keep control of the weather around algo.. but i think wren's creator made a sort of humanish chip for him giving him such qualities *despite the fact he shows it since not being around humans* So i think other than a co-worker as one could say Wren built her so that he wouldn't be lonely in his 1000 year life span

That reminds me of genesis:
«The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.» (...) «But for Adam no suitable helper was found.» (...) «"It is not good for the man to be alone"» (...) «Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.»

With this the "master"-"lover"-"friend" and even the "father" (because he was the god who created her) relation would fit.
For instance, his relation with Rika is different because:
"Father" - seed
(adoptive) mother - Alys
"Teacher/master" - wren and seed
"Lover" - Chaz
"Friends" - the protectors of Algol

That's why I think the relation between Wren and Demi are all the mentioned.

and yes, I think Wren is very human. I don't know what type of technology they used on him but the scene aboard the Landale makes that clear:
RIKA: Wren, I...
WREN: Rika, the road you choose will probably be painful and difficult. You are our hope. You must be strong and live with pride.
RIKA: Yes! Wren... Thank you!

[and after that... something good happened]

His reasons aren't clear, but that's a subject for another topic.

I have my theories about that subject
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jan 23, '08, 5:03 pm

I really wish the game had explored that a little more than it did. It was interesting to me. Especially since there is no official word (that I know of) of where Demi came from in the first place, but I always did figure Wren created her, because in the PS timeline, Demi was created long after the Great Collapse (created in the "Dark Ages", if you will.) With that theory, it makes sense she'd be subservient to Wren, as the father-daughter relationship. But it seems she can act completely independently of Wren when she needs to, as I'd assume that Demi was probably cut off from all contact with Wren either when Dark Force occupied Kuran or Zio captured her.

I wish the game had explored it more...and had explored Demi in general some more. She strikes me as an enigma of sorts in a good number of ways, and I've always liked characters like that.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Wed Jan 23, '08, 11:44 pm

Very interesting take on the Adam and Eve comparison, newsblade. I hadn't thought of it along those terms before, but that does fit it very nicely. I wonder if Wren used some of his own circuits for the "rib" from which Demi was made.

Caged Wolf wrote:Especially since there is no official word (that I know of) of where Demi came from in the first place, but I always did figure Wren created her

This is one of those things from the Compendium settai book. It says Wren created Demi, but goes into no more detail on it than that.

I agree, Demi needed some more backstory in the game. Really, she's probably the most mysterious party member, outside of Seth.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Wed Jan 23, '08, 11:52 pm

I like Demi way more than Wren, thus why my party doesn't consist of him ^_^, anyways with Seth you'd think since he's a archeologist you'd at least meet him in some towns before the island. What i think about Seth is he could of possibly been a good guy, such as a guardian or whatsoever who guarded the temple and aeroprism from thieves, but when the black wave swept across Motavia he was corrupted and turned into what we seen.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jan 24, '08, 12:21 am

Ah, thanks Thoul. Official word of some kind is good. She is the most mysterious outside of Seth, but I don't really count him as part of the main cast anyway, but he's interesting nonetheless. But with Demi...her age doesn't make much sense in the timeline, which is unlike Wren. And 324 years is a good long amount of time for history of some kind to build. I realize she was a more secondary character, but they really did pathetically little with her when there's no lack of potential.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Dorrinal » Thu Jan 24, '08, 12:23 am

Thoul wrote:Very interesting take on the Adam and Eve comparison, newsblade. I hadn't thought of it along those terms before, but that does fit it very nicely. I wonder if Wren used some of his own circuits for the "rib" from which Demi was made.

Caged Wolf wrote:Especially since there is no official word (that I know of) of where Demi came from in the first place, but I always did figure Wren created her

This is one of those things from the Compendium settai book. It says Wren created Demi, but goes into no more detail on it than that.

I agree, Demi needed some more backstory in the game. Really, she's probably the most mysterious party member, outside of Seth.

I fail to see any mystery. Backstory would make her more of a character than a plot device, but what are you going to get?

Origin: Created by Wren
Motivations: Keep the climatrol on Motavia running
Go ahead, think of something. It's a challenge!
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jan 24, '08, 12:43 am

Dorrinal wrote:I fail to see any mystery. Backstory would make her more of a character than a plot device, but what are you going to get?

Origin: Created by Wren
Motivations: Keep the climatrol on Motavia running
Go ahead, think of something. It's a challenge!

I can say why you say that, but I have a hard time seeing it as being that simple. I do believe she was probably meant to keep that climate on Motavia stable due to what Seed says when you have to go rescue her, but there are some unexplained things there. Two questions I've ALWAYS had about her is this: why did she have a skill like medical power and why would Wren give her the ability to heal humans? And, why does she have such a human-like personality, much more so than Wren? With that in mind, I've always wondered if maybe Demi was equipped to do something else before she was maybe re-equipped to run Nurvus.

Wolf Bird

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV