Are you a collector?

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Are you a collector?

Postby Thoul » Fri Feb 15, '08, 12:55 am

There are lots of different reasons to buy games, but one I've never quite gone in for is collecting. There are some people who buy games and keep them sealed, never opening the plastic to play the game. That just seems like a waste to me. It's true that some of the games might become very valuable later, but I'm of the mindset that games are meant for playing.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby DrkTr14ce » Fri Feb 15, '08, 3:59 pm

I'm far from a collector, but if I were to see something of value, wether in terms of currency or personal enjoyment, I'll buy it. Heck, I have a 'portable' Pac-Man machine my Uncle game me a few years back. At today's price, it might get me $100, if I'm lucky. (It probably would've gone for double, but i'm missing the battery cover.) And as of today, It's still up on my dresser, waiting for me to finally go out and get it some new batteries.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Celeith » Fri Feb 15, '08, 9:51 pm

I'm not really a collector in that sence. I collect the games yes but I also play them lol. Although the only game I have that is in mint condition would be my Final Fantasy VII. I have the original white discs, they've never been taken out of the case, I just use my cousins Greatest Hits version whenever I feel like playin FFVII.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Reno » Fri Feb 15, '08, 11:06 pm

Bah! I'd never collect games just to look at them! It's not really odd that people do that though, I mean, look at comic books and action figures, those are great examples of merchandise that is meant to be enjoyed but more often people simply put them away and wait for their worth to rise.

And to Kaloes: Your new signature is simply amazing. :D I haven't heard the theme song in ages!
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Feb 17, '08, 6:18 am

I couldn't do that. It would be too tempting. Maybe if I wanted to make some money I could get a brand new good game and sell it 10 years later on E-bay :rofl:
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Feb 17, '08, 4:25 pm

I don't get the collecting mindset for anything that's meant to be enjoyed, whether it be games, toys, action figures, whatever. I could never get a game just for the sake of having it because it might be worth money someday. If you want money, there's other ways to get it. Get your games and such for enjoyment, it's what they're made for.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to General Gaming