Legend Of Zelda 27 years

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Legend Of Zelda 27 years

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Aug 23, '14, 9:51 pm

Yesterday, August 22, was an important milestone for Legend Of Zelda fans. The day commemorates the 27th anniversary since the game arrived in North America:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/22/ ... a-turns-27

Happy 27th Anniversary!! :salute: :party:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Legend Of Zelda 27 years

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Aug 24, '14, 5:11 am

Legendary series, looking forward to seeing what's to come and very glad that it's had such a good life.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby S4Blade » Sun Aug 24, '14, 2:40 pm

Not to nitpick or anything, but why 27 years? I could see 25 or 30, but what's the significance of 27 years? Or is this something we celebrate every year and I'm just out of the loop? Or are they just trying to drum up hype for Hyrule Warriors?
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Aug 24, '14, 10:04 pm

Just reaching 27 years and still being relevant is a pretty significant accomplishment. I'll be really curious to see what will happen with the Halo or Call of Duty 27th anniversary. It'll be very interesting to see if fans even care or remember those franchises.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon Aug 25, '14, 1:12 am

To be fair, Zelda has basically gotten into the public consciousness, even outside of gaming culture. But other franchises, some ended, some not, have hit significant milestones. Like, for example, this year is the 25th anniversary of the Mother/Earthbound franchise. No significant fanfare there, but it's not because no one cared (the fans did) or the franchise is irrelevant. I'd say the franchise is still relevant (release on the WiiU virtual console, some of its characters are in Smash and Earthbound cartridges are highly sought after), even if the last release in the series was 2006 with Mother 3 on the Game Boy Advance. I think we, both in popular and gaming culture, are just selective about which milestones and anniversaries get hyped on a large scale, and Zelda is deserving of that since games are still coming out and it was definitely a game changer way back when. I, personally, think that yeah, 10 years off in the future, Halo, at least, will get acknowledged, at least by its fans, and maybe by larger culture because it has entered popular consciousness and is still a pretty big deal.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Mon Aug 25, '14, 11:43 am

Halo isn't going anywhere. It will be around for a long time. 27 years? Who knows. As far as FPS games go, it's one of the most popular, and the lore itself is worth playing the games for. I enjoy playing them, even if I have to play them on a console and a controller. I prefer playing my FPS games on PC with a keyboard and mouse.

As for Call of Duty, I have not played many of them, but people are still buying them like crazy, which means they are not going to stop making them until people stop buying them. Will that last 27 years? Again, who knows, but it's more likely than most other game franchises.

I'm not just defending Halo and COD here. I'm happy that Zelda has made it to 27 years since I like some of the games in the series, and Hyrule Warriors is one of my most anticipated games, but statistics show that sales for Zelda games are getting lower and lower with each new game since Twilight Princess, so Nintendo needs to do some research and figure out how to get Zelda sales back to where they used to be.
Last edited by S4Blade on Mon Aug 25, '14, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Rudo » Mon Sep 22, '14, 12:28 am

Yay Zelda. Best game ever.
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192