Least Favorite Game Cliche

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Least Favorite Game Cliche

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 13, '07, 11:35 pm

There are some well known cliches that have crept into the stories of video games after the years. What has become your least favorite element that is repeated in many games?

For me, it's the "teenage kid saves the world" part of many game stories. It's okay now and then, but it seems like nearly every RPG in recent years uses this approach. I've gotten more than a little sick of it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Fri Dec 14, '07, 6:59 pm

The first town, usually the hero's home town, gets destroyed. I've seen that in so many RPGs, I can't remember half of them.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 14, '07, 7:11 pm

Good side always wins. Never have I EVER seen a game where the good guys lose.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Shinuzzo » Fri Dec 14, '07, 7:47 pm

SparkyIII wrote:Good side always wins. Never have I EVER seen a game where the good guys lose.

Any game with multiple endings usually as at least one, that's not happy.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Thoul » Sat Dec 15, '07, 2:19 am

Battle for Middle-Earth and Battle for Middle-Earth II let you play as bad guys, so the bad guys can win in those.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atolm » Sun Dec 16, '07, 4:23 am

The hero will have either a mother/father with the other dead or is a orphan of unknown past.
Dark Force: This is the best chocolate cupcake EVAR! *stuffs face*
Atolm
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 27

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Dec 16, '07, 5:15 am

Sword or gun wielder for the main character. I wanna see the hero wield a bow or something else.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 16, '07, 6:05 am

Oh yeah, nevermind XDDDD I actually own a game where the bad guys win. *dies of laughter*
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Postby Tsunami » Sun Dec 16, '07, 6:29 am

I think this one bothers me the most:

When the main character is wielding a sword that's larger than he/she is... :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 16, '07, 6:31 am

lol Siegfried, Nightmare XD Soul Calibur. :lol:

SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Tech and Design