Toy Wars

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Toy Wars

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 15, '08, 8:44 pm

Well, folks, it's getting close to Christmas. One of the ways you can tell is when all the major stores start having their toy "wars" and toy sales, etc.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... y-war.aspx

Now, this could be good for the Christmas shoppers and consumers, etc. After all everyone wants to find a good deal on Christmas gifts, or anything else for that matter. If you have time to comparison shop, is another factor also, I would think.

Just an added note, but I still find it hard to believe, and perhaps a little sad, that "Toys R Us" may not be the leading toy seller, etc., as it once was. I just think there is something special about getting a toy from a genuine "toy store", but then again, it is the toy that is really special and not where you got it from that matters most, I suppose, although some might disagree.

Speaking of toy stores, anyone remember the toy store " Lionel PlayWorld"? Wonder what ever happened to them. Kaybee is/was another good toy store too.

Our Walmart stopped having Lay-Aways about a year ago here, but K-Mart still has Lay-Away, which I would think has helped K-Mart out some in regards to Christmas shopping and other shopping as well. What do you think, though, does stores having Lay-Away help any at all, or not?

Remember, most of the toy stores also have video games, etc., too, I think.

Where do you think you will do most of your Christmas Toy shopping, or other shopping this year?

And, what do you think will be the big toy seller or toy that everyone wants for Christmas this year?
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 15, '08, 9:36 pm

Toys R Us just isn't a very convenient store for most people. Their prices are usually high and the stores are too far away from most people to visit regularly. They do carry some great exclusive stuff and usually have a good selection of video games. With places like Wal-mart being so much more common though, they were bound to take the lead.

Lionel PlayWorld went out of business. They filed for bankruptcy a couple of times and just never fully recovered. Kay Bee is head that way, too. They've closed a lot of their stores and filed bankruptcy at least once.

Wal-mart mostly just changed their layaway policy to a credit line. On one hand, it's kind of good - you can get the stuff right away instead of having sitting on a shelf in back of their store. On the other hand... well, it's basically another credit card. Who needs that?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby luke » Wed Oct 15, '08, 9:46 pm

wal-mart is also a terrible company. not that toys-r-us is sent from heaven, but i would rather have nothing to do with stores like wal-mart.
cooper, today you remind me of a small mexican chihuahua
luke
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 9

Postby Lemina » Wed Oct 15, '08, 11:45 pm

Thoul wrote:Lionel PlayWorld went out of business. They filed for bankruptcy a couple of times and just never fully recovered. Kay Bee is head that way, too. They've closed a lot of their stores and filed bankruptcy at least once.

I've never heard of Lionel Playworld. I feel deprived. I remember seeing a Kay Bee once though. They offered a lot of the fad-y toys; Furby and virtual pets were the two items that I noticed the most when I went there...almost ten years ago.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 16, '08, 12:26 am

Lionel PlayWorld was basically the same thing as Toys R Us, except they had a lot more toy trains because the company has roots in train stuff. When I was little, there used to both a Lionel PlayWorld and a Toys R Us about an hour's drive away. They were right next to each other, so I'd get to go to one, then the other. Both were pretty good stores back then. I used to strain my neck looking at everything because they had shelves packed all the way to the ceiling. :hyper:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lemina » Mon Oct 20, '08, 10:39 am

That's cool! :o I didn't go to Toys R Us that often, my parents took me to many different smaller shops instead, which was still very cool. 8)

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby DrkTr14ce » Mon Oct 20, '08, 6:54 pm

Admittingly, I've never been to a Toys R Us. Though from what I'm hearing in here, I'm not exactly missing anything major.

I'm skeptical about this maneuver of Wal-Mart's. While I do applaud their idea and the fact that they are seemingly the ones with the head start on it all, I honestly don't think it's enough with the current situation. Then again, parents do have to get their kids the hottest new toys. >.> What is it this year, another action figure made in China with enough detachable parts to warrant a large Warning label? Seriously, I'd like to know. Though my current guess is still the Nintendo Wii.
Greetings to you all. I am Kahrne Annabelle Lee, a Level 6 Sprite Artist.

DrkTr14ce
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 36

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 21, '08, 9:46 pm

Toys R Us today is nothing like it used to be. When I was a kid, it was the best kid's store anywhere. Not just for toys, but for anything kids enjoyed. Their video game selection was unrivaled. They were more expensive than some other stores, but they also had a bunch of stuff that couldn't be found elsewhere.

I think the Wii will be big this year, but not as big as last year, unless there's a really great game I haven't heard of yet.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Casual Conversation