Last movie you saw?

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Re: Last movie you saw?

Postby Tryphon » Sun Jun 3, '12, 10:53 am

Arrietty is too the last movie I saw and I was greatly disappointed, sorry to say that.

It may be the most beautiful anime movie I've ever seen (and I've seen really lots of them) but the story is poor, the characters are superficial. Ghibli magic is not there, and it's all the more damageable that the world in which it happens was really promising. I really think it could have been terrific with better story and characters developments (it's tha PSIII of Ghibli's movies :) ).

Not the worst Ghibli (it's "Neko no ongaeshi" (I don't know the english title, french is "Le Royaume des Chats")), not a bad film (it's a Ghibli, no doubt about it) but really far from Masterpieces such as Mononoke, or Spirited Away, or Totoro, or Tombstone of the Fireflies (My preference is to Porco Rosso, but it's personal).
Tryphon
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 20

Postby Lucas » Sat Jul 14, '12, 3:03 am

Well I watched the 1984, A Nightmare on Elm Street movie last night. I have seen it before however. As for the film itself it’s okay, I do like the odd horror movie here and there even though I wouldn’t say it’s very scary. Freddy comes across as a rather menacing villain though.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Lucas » Mon Dec 10, '12, 7:29 am

So on Saturday night I ended up watching The Dark Crystal. For an early eighties movie I thought it was executed very well, the deep fantasy storyline was great and the some of the characters were brilliant especially for a film made back in those days.

Also a lot of things in the move kept reminding me of the Legend of Zelda for some reason. Anyway I really enjoyed the movie it won a new fan that’s for sure, but in all honestly some of the puppets were downright ugly. :lol:

I recommend those here who haven’t seen The Dark Crystal to give it a go. ;)

Lucas
Protector
Protector

Postby myau56 » Mon Dec 10, '12, 11:14 am

Dark Crystal is great ! Very good puppet movie and even if it's an "old movie" it's truly still impressive !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Dec 10, '12, 3:39 pm

Yeah, the Dark Crystal is pretty darn good, and surprisingly dark, considering the use of puppets. My sister gave it to me a while back, because she loves all the old 80's fantasy and sci-fi stuff.

I like that it has this kind of Gnostic, Jungian feel, because of the division of the two races.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Rylen » Thu Dec 13, '12, 2:55 am

I saw Lincoln around Thanksgiving (US). Rather neat film. One of the amateur radio guys that I know helped on the film in the Morse code segments.
Rylen
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 49

Postby Thoul » Fri Dec 28, '12, 9:36 pm

Last night I watched one of the movies I got for Christmas, Godzilla vs. Biollante. Apparently it was just released on DVD in the US for the first time not long ago, despite being around 20 years old now. I don't think I had ever seen this one before now. It's pretty good, though I wouldn't count it as one of the top films for the big G. The story does deviate from the standard formula of Godzilla films of that era in a few ways, which is a nice change of pace.

I do wish the battles had a little more action to them, though. But, I suppose when your opposing monster is a giant rose, lots of mobility in the battles is not going to happen.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Dec 30, '12, 9:26 pm

Finally got to see "Expendables 2". It was a pretty good movie. Hard to go wrong with Stallone, Lundgren, Willis, Schwarznegger, Norris, Van Damme, and Hemsworth all in one movie.

If I had to say only two words to sum it up, it would be: Chuck Norris!!! :clap:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Mon Jan 7, '13, 4:38 am

Watched Superman II for the first time in years tonight. Well, I tried to watch it, anyway. I bought the DVD off Amazon recently and it arrived this weekend, but it's defective. It skips a good chunk of the middle of the film, so it's going back for a refund.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Mon Feb 4, '13, 5:04 am

Rouge, it’s an Australian horror movie about a very large crocodile up in the Northern Territory. I enjoyed it a lot more than Lake Placid, scary thing about this movie is however, a lot of the stuff that happens has happened before in crocodile territory. Pretty big fan of Radha Mitchell in this movie, who plays Kate the main female lead. ;)
Last edited by Lucas on Mon Feb 4, '13, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucas
Protector
Protector

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Films