Last movie you saw?

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Re: Last movie you saw?

Postby H-Man » Mon Oct 11, '10, 12:16 am

I watched the second half of EVAN ALMIGHTY last night. Worst. Deluge. Ever.

Just got done watching FANTASIA. A bit longish, but still a beautifully-animated film. As usual, my favorite parts are the evolution sequence accompanied by Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" and the "A Night on Bald Mountain" by Modest Mussorgsky. 7.5/10
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby H-Man » Mon Oct 11, '10, 2:34 pm

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle: I loved the first one, and this one was more of the same, but with the CGI action, sexuality, and silly disguises ramped up and not very fresh. I'm glad to see that fight choreographer Yuen Cheung-Yan got a cameo, I'm also glad to see Robert Patrick and Robert Forster getting work, and the wire-enhanced fight against the Irish gang in the second half was entertaining, but otherwise the first film is better in all respects. 6/10
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

H-Man
Sage
Sage

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Oct 11, '10, 5:58 pm

Interesting reviews, H-Man. I'll have to remember that when and if I see any of these movies. I didn't even know there was a second Charlie's Angels movie out, or if I did I must have forgotten about it. I am so far behind in my movie watching. I do love just about anything that Robert Patrick and Robert Forster are in though. :yes:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Atlinsmere » Tue Oct 12, '10, 1:12 am

Last movie I saw was Broken Blade. It's a OVA. =D I wonder how long I have to wait for part 3
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Oakley2284 » Tue Oct 12, '10, 1:23 am

I've just finished Iron man 2 and tomorrow i'll watch the second one. I Loved the first one though ^^
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby H-Man » Wed Oct 13, '10, 12:42 pm

The Abominable Dr. Phibes - Vincent Price plays a mad doctor who takes his revenge of the team of doctors he blames for the death of his wife. To that end he kills them using methods that invoke the plagues God unleashed on Egypt in the Book of Exodus. I especially liked how he did the locust one. According to this movie, Vincent Price's character spent his life in the company of Caroline Munro AND Virginia North, which leads me to believe that Mr. Price was endowed with a greatness that mere mortals like me will never comprehend. 7/10

H-Man
Sage
Sage

Postby Qara » Thu Oct 14, '10, 2:13 am

'The Power Of One' basically the story of a young boy growing up in South Africa and and dealing with the apartheid there and other facets of life. Good movie.
Qara
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 53

Postby Celeith » Thu Oct 14, '10, 2:14 am

I watched the Prince of Persia a few days ago. It was ok for a video game referenced movie. I'm still ticked that they changed the sands of time altogether.. I mean cmon he is not suppose to have a name, and he's persian with a british accent.. Wth man, but otherwise it was a pretty epic movie.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby H-Man » Sun Oct 17, '10, 2:14 pm

Kung Fu Rebels - Shoddily-made, incompetently-edited Taiwanese kung fu-comedy from the late 1970s. The first third is made up of unfunny humor and boring comic fights, after which the film becomes surprisingly brutal, as the invincible bad guy goes around killing everybody. The bit where he rips the throats out of a 10-year-old girl and the hero's love interest is especially mean-spirited, as is the scene where a breaks the neck of a heavyset girl who doesn't know kung fu. In the finale, the hero uses "dog kung fu" and the "sick fist" to combat the villain's "iron vest" and "toad techniques".

4/10

H-Man
Sage
Sage

Postby H-Man » Mon Oct 25, '10, 10:59 am

The Martial Club - Totally awesome old-school Shaw Bros. film directed by Lau Kar-Leung. Kung fu starlet Kara Wei Ying-Hung gets in one of her better fighting performances here, and Gordon Liu and Johnny Wang Lung-Wei are as good as they have ever been. The final fight scene set in an increasingly narrow alleyway is one of the greatest old school fights ever, no joke. Filmmakers should use this fight as an example of how to shoot a fight in close-up and in a narrow space.

A Princesa e o Sapo - Disney's return to the traditional animated film is a fun little film, although it loses A LOT dubbed in Portuguese. I'm very glad that Charlotte, despite being a pampered, spoiled little rich girl, is ultimately a good person.

Ong Bak - It's weird saying this, but last night I FINALLY watched a Tony Jaa film. I had seen Chocolate and Born to Fight, but nothing from the Jaa. Now I have. Woo-hoo! The stuntwork is awesome and the fights are brutal. Tony Jaa has awesome physical talent, although the action direction leaves a bit to be desired. Too much slow motion, too many "money shots", too many moments where the repeat the money move or stunt from different angles, etc. The chase sequence is pretty classic, and I really liked the first two fights that made up the finale (Tony Jaa fighting with sticks and machetes and then his near-legendary superkicking against the guys dressed in black).

Seven to One - The third of the four early 1970s films starring kung fu starlet Polly Shang Kuan Ling Feng and Yasuaki Kurata. This one is set in modern day, and boy, Polly is far more beautiful in 1970s attire than in period garb. Lots of fighting in the first and third acts, though the final fight between Polly and Kurata is a let-down. Fun film, though.

H-Man
Sage
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Films