Lassic's Backstory

Quest for justice and vengeance with the beginning of the saga.

Lassic's Backstory

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 8, '07, 8:52 am

Lassic has been given two different histories to explain his actions in PSI. In one history, he's obsessed with immortality and falls under the sway of an evil religion, brought to Algo by outsiders, that promises eternal life. In the other, Lassic learns the nature of Algo as a seal and summons Dark Falz on his own, pledging himself as a servant of the monster.

Which of these histories do you prefer, or is there another version you like?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 8, '07, 12:44 pm

I prefer the first background for Lassic. He was supposedly a good ruler before he worried about growing old, right? In the 1st history's case, he became corrupted by the religion. (why does this remind me of Zio?)

The 2nd history doesn't make much sense on his part... If he could somehow find out that Algol was just a seal, then wouldn't others discover this as well?
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Oct 8, '07, 2:04 pm

Lassic does have a lot of parallels with Zio, when it comes to the religion and his body dissolving and so on. If there had been another entry in the story, I don't doubt that Zio would have returned as a zombie like Lassic/Lashiec.

I think the second history might be possible if Lassic found some really old books passing down some of the knowledge. On Rykros they still remember bits and pieces of the legend, so maybe there was some partial record hidden on Palma, too. As a side part of that story, Lutz supposedly researches Dark Force and learns more about it (including the 1,000 year cycle) after Lassic's defeat. There's no source given for Lutz's information either, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Oct 9, '07, 1:14 am

Thoul wrote:I think the second history might be possible if Lassic found some really old books passing down some of the knowledge. On Rykros they still remember bits and pieces of the legend, so maybe there was some partial record hidden on Palma, too. As a side part of that story, Lutz supposedly researches Dark Force and learns more about it (including the 1,000 year cycle) after Lassic's defeat. There's no source given for Lutz's information either, though.
That does make sense that there would be some way to find out about Algo's fate. Noah/Lutz had to have some reason for sticking around another 1,000 years.

I originally prefered the first interpretation of Lassic, as it seemed more plausible for him to go from good to corrupt. But the second version makes him a better villain, since he's pursuing destruction for the sake of destruction. Much more consistently evil! :evil:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Heikabuchi » Wed Oct 31, '07, 8:23 pm

Tsunami wrote:I prefer the first background for Lassic. He was supposedly a good ruler before he worried about growing old, right? In the 1st history's case, he became corrupted by the religion. (why does this remind me of Zio?)

The 2nd history doesn't make much sense on his part... If he could somehow find out that Algol was just a seal, then wouldn't others discover this as well?

I have to agree. The first explaination makes a little more sense. And to be honest, isn't PS1 our canon source?
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 31, '07, 9:12 pm

The canon of either backstory is debatable here. The games themselves don't give any backstory for Lassic (except maybe Generation 1, but who knows what it says given lack of a translation). The backstories come from the English PS1 manual and the PS Compendium book. Neither source is necessarily reliable, but both come from Sega.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby newsblade » Tue Jan 8, '08, 5:57 pm

The second story justifies why Arisa's father (King of Parma) has died and why Lassic became a king. It also justifies why she was kept with Motavia governor who latter hide her with a normal family (this looks like starwars)… hmmm... that family also died by "accident". If Lassic were a good person from the beginning there would be no need to hide Arisa.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Re: Lassic's Backstory

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Feb 11, '18, 5:56 pm

I like the first version best for Lassic.

What does everyone else think?
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Lassic's Backstory

Postby myau56 » Sat Mar 3, '18, 1:36 pm

Of course, I prefer the second one ! As it's the story from the original version, the japanese one (and so it's why it's the story told from the compendium).
And like Newsblade has told us before, it's
justifies why Arisa's father (King of Parma) has died and why Lassic became a king
: and it's very important :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Re: Lassic's backstory and other Qs

Postby Zio_Falz » Sat Sep 8, '18, 8:40 pm

newsblade wrote:King of Parma
?

Does the game story, English or Japanese, specifically state that Alis' father was the King of Parma? The title just sounds....funny. Why would Palma have a King, but Mota have a Governor? And Dezo to have not have either? Also the end of the game give Alisa the choice to become the Queen of not Palma, but of all Algol. These people need to decide on their government format and stick with it.

As far as the main topic question, its kinda silly for the former scenario of Lassic being a good ruler corrupted by an evil religion, considering that it was Alis father who was the original ruler. Its implied in the game that Lassic deposed Alis' father, usurping the throne. I do remember reading somewhere, that the evil religion prophets had presented Lassic with evil armor or something like that, corrupting him in the process. I always assumed that this evil religion was that of the Earthmen, but the later series information states that they didnt arrive to Algol till AW 845, long after the game. And upon their arrival, they abolished the Algol monarchy, if it ever existed at all, haha. But the fact that the materials mention this, seems to imply Alis and her descendants at some point accepted the task of ruling monarch.

As a side note, while its not the official story, it would be kinda neat if it turned out that Lassic was in fact Alisa's father.

Given that Alis did have descendants by way of Rolf, I wonder who/what exactly his parents were? Motavian or Palman senators/ parlimentarians? I wonder if Rolf is a distant cousin of the Laya or Orakio's families, too. He is one heck of a swordsman and tech user.
Last edited by Zio_Falz on Sat Sep 8, '18, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Next

Return to Phantasy Star