Killer Whales

Companions of all kinds - furry, feathered, fishy and more!

Killer Whales

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 26, '10, 5:41 pm

I guess by now almost everyone has heard about the accident at Sea World where the trainer was killed by the whale, etc.:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35566392/ns ... /?gt1=4300

This was a horrible accident but I'm sure everyone knew this might be a possibility. I mean they are called "killer whales"! They are beautiful but they can also be deadly.
It seems this was not the first time this whale was involved in an accident either.

Do you think this whale should be put to death, or what do you think should happen?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Killer Whales

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Feb 26, '10, 8:24 pm

These magnificent animals aren't meant to live in freaking swimming pools. They should release it in the wild where it belongs, if anything, and killing it would be a total travesty of justice. :evil:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lyla2284 » Fri Feb 26, '10, 9:24 pm

I fully agree with you there, CW. :yes:
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Closed3 » Sat Feb 27, '10, 5:10 am

I heard a radio program (on NPR) today about this. One of the guests made a really good point. It took thousands of years of domestication to bring dogs into our homes. But marine mammals like this killer whale are not at all domesticated, and yet we expect them to accept human contact without their instincts becoming a factor.

I have to admit that I have seen dolphins in captivity and even supported it by paying admission. The animals seemed happy and well-taken care of, but I don't doubt they would be happier (more able to live out their natural desires) in the wild.
Closed3
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Feb 27, '10, 9:17 pm

I heard today that the whale shows at Sea World have started up again, although from now on there will be no trainers allowed in the same areas with the whales, or something along those lines. It may also be awhile longer before this certain whale is allowed to participate in shows again.

I don't believe the whale should be killed either. There has to be some other solution than something that drastic.

As for letting the whales go free, that is a possibility, and one that sounds ideal. However, I read where someone made the point that after being held in captivity for so long, etc., that the whales may not be able to take care of themselves if they were just let go into the wild. That makes sense. It would seem that nature would intervene and help the animal know what to do, but that might not be the case, and the whales could find themselves in more danger of dying being free than in living in captivity as they are now.

I think it's a good first step in seperating the animals from their trainers, etc., in close quarters and all.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lucas » Mon Mar 1, '10, 2:46 am

Personally after it killed the first person it should have been isolated or released. After killing a third person it’s quite clear that it needs to be let go because it’s to dangerous to have around so many people. Killer Whales are also one of the very few animals that kill and eat Great White Sharks. Now that’s saying something because Great White Sharks are very dangerous and always seem on top of the food chain. :blank:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Return to Amazing Animals