SEGA Purchases Atlus (Index Corp) for 14 Billion Yen

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

SEGA Purchases Atlus (Index Corp) for 14 Billion Yen

Postby S4Blade » Wed Sep 18, '13, 12:13 pm

Source: http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2013/09/17 ... yen/55909/

From the article: "After the revelation came about that popular Japanese game publisher, Atlus, and its parent company, Index Corp, were facing fraud allegations and had filed for bankruptcy, speculation began to fly about what would happen to the beloved game company. After just a few months, however, it looks like Sega Sammy Holdings has purchased Index Corp for 14 billion yen. The acquisition will happen in November, as reported by Japanese news site Nikkei, and will involve a restructuring of the company.

Additional details are scarce, but we’ll make sure to follow this story as it unfolds. No word what this means for Atlus USA."

Thoughts?
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: SEGA Purchases Atlus (Index Corp) for 14 Billion Yen

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 18, '13, 2:07 pm

I hope they keep going in some form. I really enjoy some of their games, notably Crusader of Centy for Genesis, which I fondly remember from my childhood, and 3-D Dot Game Heroes for PS3.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby R-90-2 » Wed Sep 18, '13, 6:42 pm

This actually could be good- Sega has been big on porting its held games to PC as of late, which means that it's possible we'll see more of the Atlus library available on Steam and the like.
Do not say: How is it that former times were better than these? For it is not out of wisdom that you ask about this. Ecclesiastes 7:10
ImageImageImageImage
R-90-2
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 78

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Sep 19, '13, 1:01 am

For Atlus in Japan, it should be okay. Probably they will keep working on their strongest franchises and they can even benefit from Sega's engines and tech assets.

As for Atlus USA, I don't know. Atlus USA is focused on localizing niche games, while Sega has been very bad in bringing their own games to the west. Maybe they will use Atlus USA experience and resources to bring their unpublished games, but maybe they will merge it to Sega of America and the resources will be lost.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 2, '14, 5:49 am

I honestly think this will be terrible for Atlus USA. I agree that Atlas in Japan would be fine - it's just more resources, which should hopefully translate to better games. But Sega and localization are not subjects that go together very well, unfortunately. The best case scenario would have Sega essentially leaving Atlus USA to their own devices, maybe occasionally throwing them a decent Sega title... but I fear the more likely result will be the end of Atlus' USA operations entirely.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 2, '14, 10:18 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:I hope they keep going in some form. I really enjoy some of their games, notably Crusader of Centy for Genesis, which I fondly remember from my childhood, and 3-D Dot Game Heroes for PS3.

Ah yes ! Crusader of Centy (Soleil in Europe ! French word for SUN :) ) was a great game ! Me and my two brothers have finished it and that was so many great memories :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Return to In the News