KGen98

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

KGen98

Postby Fogeltje » Sun Jun 24, '07, 3:25 pm

I finally found out how to get my old savegames to work again. Guess what, deleting the config file did the trick. The config file is created when you first run it and it saves, among other things, the directory. I had moved the files from my old computer to this one when I had bought it. Now the config file was trying to find the savegames in a directory that no longer existed. Finally I can finish PSIII.

My question is, is anyone familiar with this emulator? I no longer have sound. I think I can't do anything about it since it was written for DOS and I run WinXP now. But maybe there is a way to get the sound to work. Can anyone help?

Btw, I doubt it's possible to convert these savegames into files that can be used with other emulators (preferably Kega Fusion), but if it's possible I'd like to know about it.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Re: KGen98

Postby Rune Sa Riik » Sun Jun 24, '07, 6:22 pm

Fogeltje wrote:Btw, I doubt it's possible to convert these savegames into files that can be used with other emulators (preferably Kega Fusion), but if it's possible I'd like to know about it.

You can run saves from Gens on Kega without any problems. Load ROM and then open menu "File", choose "load state as" and load you save from Gens :wink:
Please, excuse my terrible grammar! =)
Rune Sa Riik
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 2

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 24, '07, 6:58 pm

A lot of Genesis emulators use the same save state format, the gs0 files (0 can be any number up to 9, like gs1, gs2, etc.). Any emulator that uses that format can load saves in that format created by other emulators.

I believe KGen98 saves in a different format (.kss, I think; its been a while). Some emulators may be able to load that without any changes as well. Kega might - check the docs that came with it to see if there's a mention of it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Fogeltje » Sun Jun 24, '07, 7:13 pm

I'm using the ingame save function, not the save state functions. Kega Fusion generates .ssm and .srm files for SMS/GEN respectively. KGen 98 gives me .ksb files.

I'm gonna play around with both emulators tomorrow a bit to see if I can possibly make a state save file with KGen 98 and load it in Kega Fusion and make sure to check all the documentation I can find. Thanks guys.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 24, '07, 8:06 pm

The ingame save works about the same way - the .srm can be used by almost any Genesis emulator. I'm not sure about .ksb, though. I never really worked with those files much.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Fogeltje » Sun Jun 24, '07, 8:29 pm

I've tried simply renaming the .ksb file, didn't work as I expected. I managed to make a state save (called snapshot in Kgen98) and renaming that so it would be recognised by Fusion...tried GENS also. Didn't work. I'm afraid I won't be able to convert the old KGen98 so they are usable in Fusion, real shame. I had had a small bit of hope since both were written by the same guy, but I guess he started really on scratch with Fusion.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Return to Classic Series