Gryz, was he always that way?

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Gryz, was he always that way?

Postby Atlinsmere » Sun Jul 18, '10, 10:04 am

As you know, we first meet Gryz in the Motavian village of Tonoe. He was kind of cold and had an attitude, but that was probably because Zio destroyed his village and killed his parents. I'm sure he wasn't always the guy that had an attitude, so, what do you think he was like before Zio did what he done?

Discuss.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Re: Gryz, was he always that way?

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sun Jul 18, '10, 8:33 pm

I would say no, at least, not to such an extent.

I mean, the guy went through an extremely traumatic situation...
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 19, '10, 6:56 pm

It's hard to say what he might have been like before that. He was probably a fairly happy and open fellow. He doesn't seem to have a problem with Palmans in general, unlike some of the other Motavians. Even after declaring his intent to kill Zio, he never expresses distrust or hatred of anyone else.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Mon Jul 19, '10, 11:32 pm

Thoul wrote:It's hard to say what he might have been like before that. He was probably a fairly happy and open fellow. He doesn't seem to have a problem with Palmans in general, unlike some of the other Motavians. Even after declaring his intent to kill Zio, he never expresses distrust or hatred of anyone else.

That's true, and I agree.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Jul 20, '10, 10:46 pm

Gryz really didn't come off as THAT cold and having an attitude when you meet him, at least not to me. He only comes off that way towards Zio. So I guess my opinion is that he was never that way in the first place.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Xander » Tue Jul 20, '10, 11:23 pm

I agree with CW. He never came across to me that way. His anger was directed towards Zio. After all, he just wanted revenge.

Besides, speaking from experience, having a friend, or family in his case, be killed and being powerless to do anything to save them can affect people differently. Some will wish only for revenge as he does and others may simply go borderline mad with a hate filled rage they use to cope with the trauma of the loss. The list goes on.

But obviously in context of the game, a vengeful Gryz is easier to portray than the latter of the aforementioned. That usually ends up turning into some angsty whiner. :shiftyeyes:
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Oakley2284 » Wed Jul 21, '10, 1:43 am

As you can see in the end of the game, Gryz seem to be a ''normal'' motavian with a peaceful life with his sister. He's not the guy we can see when we talk to him about Zio... Thats my opinion ^^
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Xander » Wed Jul 21, '10, 8:10 am

Exactly. Besides he came along in the end mostly just to make up for leaving earlier, though his vendetta was against Zio and once he was dead he had no reason to stay.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Kein_Mitleid » Tue Aug 3, '10, 2:50 am

He appears to be calmer and happier after Zio's defeat. But he still feels he has many duties as a protector.
Kein_Mitleid
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 5

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 12, '10, 8:49 am

I just realized I never replied with my thoughts on the matter. >_<

Well, to tell you what I think. I think Gryz wasn't really cold as I stated, but more like angry. I think personally that before he was the type of guy who got along good with his parents, was generally a good guy, but with a slight anger problem. And I agree with Thoul that he was pretty open. Gryz is just a good guy overall, (I took him with me originally when I killed PD. He had the last hit when everyone was dead. x3)
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Return to Phantasy Star IV