Just Ordered PSO and PSO Ver. 2 for Dreamcast

Share experiences from the entire series, including PS Online, Universe, and Zero.

Just Ordered PSO and PSO Ver. 2 for Dreamcast

Postby LordShibas » Tue Jan 27, '09, 4:21 pm

I got them for $6 a piece from Amazon, new. I have never played the online PS games. I've kind of shyed away from them for a while now, but I think I'm ready to give them a try. Needless to say, I won't be playing online, so can someone tell me how the offline mode is? Worth the $6 entry price?

If it's an MMO style game I should be okay with it. I've played quite a few MMOs in my life.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby Darkil » Tue Jan 27, '09, 5:53 pm

It's awesome! Although the Gamecube version offers a bit more[extra things here and there] I loved my Dreamcast and that game. I'd say let's play online but I don't think the servers are up anymore
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby pitohui » Tue Jan 27, '09, 7:09 pm

Yeah, the Dreamcast servers were shut down in October of 2003. But wikipedia adds this little nugget:

wikipedia wrote:Presumably the official servers for the Dreamcast version of Phantasy Star Online were to be shut down when the servers were officially closed. However, the Dreamcast servers were still accepting connections, except the connections would be dropped after some period of inactivity. Those servers were shut down on April 1, 2007, no longer accepting any connection, the same time the servers for the Gamecube version was shut down.

Interesting.

Anyway, the game is still a ton of fun offline; I logged for more hours off than on.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby Darkil » Tue Jan 27, '09, 7:16 pm

I agree, I had more fun offline than online. Of course the great thing about the Cube version is you can have up to 4 people on one Cube so it was your own lil server :)
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby Thoul » Tue Jan 27, '09, 10:48 pm

Yeah, that's a great price for them even with just the offline mode. As far as I know, there's no official online support for any version of PSO now, though unofficial servers seem to support most versions.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Ome_Joop » Wed Jan 28, '09, 12:53 pm

What about schtack private server?
I occasionally play PSO PC over there (used to play PSO Plus for Gamecube there too)

http://www.schtserv.com/
Ome_Joop
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 43

Postby Darkil » Wed Jan 28, '09, 6:08 pm

Hmm so there is a server still out there? I might have to check that out and hook up the ol Dreamcast again.
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Postby LordShibas » Wed Jan 28, '09, 11:00 pm

Thanks for the input. I was thinking of getting the Cube version, but I'm going to see if I like the Dreamcast versions first, since they are much cheaper. If I end up liking them, I may pick up the GC Plus version. I don't really care about the split screen. I tend to game alone, and I despise split screen gaming.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Re: Just Ordered PSO and PSO Ver. 2 for Dreamcast

Postby Tweeg » Sun Jun 28, '09, 4:21 pm

GameCube (and Xbox) versions are only splitscreen if you're doing offline multi-player.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Return to Phantasy Star General