Just how deep is PSII?

Discover the secret of Mother Brain's technological advanced world.

Re: Just how deep is PSII?

Postby H-Man » Thu Sep 9, '10, 2:41 pm

PSP wrote: Rudy gets to bang out Fal for the rest of his days.

I think that's a perfectly good compensation for saving the solar system. Maybe that's just me. 8)
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby tilinelson2 » Thu Sep 9, '10, 5:24 pm

H-Man wrote:

I think that's a perfectly good compensation for saving the solar system. Maybe that's just me. 8)

Yep, but at the same time, the most predictable one. The hero saves the day, marries and they live in happiness forever...
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby H-Man » Thu Sep 9, '10, 6:51 pm

tilinelson2 wrote:
H-Man wrote:

Yep, but at the same time, the most predictable one. The hero saves the day, marries and they live in happiness forever...

Maybe, but I get enough sad, bittersweet, and straight-up depressing endings in my Chinese movie viewings. A predictably happy ending at the end of an RPG once in a while does good for the soul. :D
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 10, '10, 3:27 am

Haha.. PS IV ending happy? Pfft.. Far from happy.

The only happy part is getting to marry Rika. Rolf never got to marry Nei :(

As for Ps 2.. how deep the story is depends on how willing you're going to delve into the motives/personalities of the people with more lines of text than Alis.

Alis had few lines of text and people made 32 page biographies on her. Defined her whole character without real proof.

PS 2 all you get is a intro to the char, and a ending quote and it depends on how much you want to make up the personality of the character.

It all depends on YOU! You have the power! The power of love!

Shameless plug for the cool song XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzNLZ37ZTZs

But seriously.. It is the power of love because you decide how much you love the characters and how much you want to extend that love to fabricate their personalities.

All cheeziness aside, it's true.
Last edited by Rick on Fri Sep 10, '10, 3:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Tanith » Fri Sep 10, '10, 3:33 am

You're only talking about the characters, though. I think the main point is that the story is still deep, lack of character development notwithstanding. The characters are an afterthought and add little to the story, other than Nei and possibly Rolf (being a Landale descendant and having been rescued by Lutz when he was 10 years old).
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 10, '10, 3:56 am

The story of PS 2 isn't that deep really. It's how you interpret and add to is. You have to decide whether the rule of mother brain is evil or not.

Compared to PS IV, life was better on Motavia. The lack of mother brain turned Motavia into the state it is in PS IV. A state of disrepair, low birth rate, low food leaving the perfect void for Zio to come and promise a better life.

After Nei-First, PS 2 becomes about revenge. Revenge against Mother Brain who was following the orders of the Earthmen who in turn were following the orders of Dark Force. Revenge on the computer that killed Rolf's parents and destroyed Mota. Revenge in Rolf's mind

Lutz never told Rolf to destroy Mother Brain. He told Rolf to destroy the evil behind her. Lutz hated mother brain for making the people of Algo feeble but was she really evil? The people of Algo NEVER stood up for themselves TO BEGIN WITH. Only Nero and Alisa out of millions stood up to Lashiec's tyranny. Mother Brain single handedly restored Mota and Palma after the conjunction saving lives and making people live happily. Was that really evil? She was a machine.

Could she have been reprogrammed differently? The Earthmen protocol changed? Probably

Rolf also struck first againt mother brain and the Earthmen in the japanese game.

That is what you decide. Was life under mother brain with food, clothing, shelter, advanced civizilation, was it that bad?

That is where how much you love the characters which make the plot.

Compared to life in PS IV, PS 2 Mota was much better.
Rick
Android
Android

Postby Tanith » Fri Sep 10, '10, 4:11 am

You just proved that the story is deep with all of that. ;)

Just because life is harder on Motavia in 2284 doesn't make it a deeper story.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 10, '10, 4:14 am

Ah but you see.. most of that is deciding what is what and what the characters believe and do. That is what I mean. Any story is made deeper by pondering those.

The Lady and the Tiger is a deep story when you do those things. Justify what the choice was.

The average HATER for PSO never saw a deep story and missed out on a DEEP AS HECK story with lots of plot and dialogue. Since PSO didn't spoon feed you the plot, those PSO haters say there is no plot to PSO.

Since they hate, they cannot love and therefore cannot think and come to conclusions.

How deep it is depends on the individual.. No two people would see it the same deepness.
Rick
Android
Android

Postby Tanith » Fri Sep 10, '10, 4:22 am

Hm. We're talking in circles here. The themes in PSII are deep. Really.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 10, '10, 4:28 am

We're actually saying the same thing. Both of us love the characters and the scenario to delve deep into it and tie things together and decide.

If we didn't like the game, like the PSO HATERS of PSO, we wouldn't try to understand it. The PSO haters don't try to understand the plot or explain things.
Rick
Android
Android

Previous

Return to Phantasy Star II