Anybody here read/write poetry?

Converse about your favorite literature and reading in this study.

Anybody here read/write poetry?

Postby Hukos » Fri Apr 11, '14, 4:48 pm

I consider myself something of a hack wannabe-poet, so I'm curious to see if there's anyone else that likes poetry.

If you do read/write it, what type of poetry? I'm kinda partial to the romantic era myself.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Re: Anybody here read/write poetry?

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Apr 11, '14, 5:20 pm

Absolutely, I love poetry. Haven't been reading nearly as much of it as I should lately, except older foreign language stuff (I thought modern English poetry could be tough, than I started reading Hebrew stuff, ha ha). But yeah, totally agree with you, my favorites have always been the Romantics. Coleridge is a fave, Shelley is awesome, I love Keats, and I still really need to get a complete collection of Byron, I've always loved him but just haven't found a good edition of his stuff yet.

I really love Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Christabel, and Kubla Khan, of course, by Coleridge, I remember loving The Witch of Atlas, Prometheus Unbound, and of course Ozymandias by Shelley, and Lamia, Ode on a Grecian Urn, and The Eve of St. Agnes are faves from Keats. I also love some Tennyson, Chaucer is amazing (a lot of anonymous Middle English poetry is great), I love Beowulf from the little Old English I can read.

In the modern era I really like T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, and Wallace Stevens. But my favorite modern poet is Dylan Thomas, by far. I tend to like traditional stuff with recognizable meters and that sort, but I'm pretty flexible. You kind of have to be with modern poetry.

But yeah, some of my favorite stuff is non-English, I love Old Norse Eddic poetry, some skaldic stuff, Latin and a little Greek poetry, Ovid is a fave, Catullus is cool, medieval Latin verse is often really beautiful, too. Welsh poetry like in the Mabinogion is very beautiful but often indecipherable, I think that's why Dylan Thomas is so incomprehensible, ha ha.

I do also write poetry, or used to, managed to get one single poem published a few years back, and haven't really written anything since. What kind of stuff are you interested in, Hukos? Who are your faves, and which are your favorite poems, and do you think you might share some poetry here?
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Hukos » Fri Apr 11, '14, 6:03 pm

I'm a pretty hefty William Blake fanboy. Coleridge, Wordsworth, Poe, etc. are all also very excellent.

Unfortunately, I've kind of limited myself to that specific era and I'm pretty clueless about anything "modern". It's something I ought to work on, but you know, procrastination and that jazz.

I'm not sure I could list any specific works as my favorites, however. Just dig through most of the romantic poets and you'll find stuff I really enjoy.

On the subject of my own work, I'd be a bit hesitant to really show too much of it because I feel I have way too many flaws when it comes to writing poetry. While I love the romantic poets, my own stuff is a bit mechanical in comparison. I also have a bad habit of not really sticking with a single meter for an entire poem. It's definitely closer to "free-form" than any particular style (Though that's not to say I don't use any kind of structure, it's just that I don't stick with that structure for very long)

My poetry also suffers from the fact I tend to write in the vein of how a lyricist would (Being the major music nerd I am, I'd love to be able to actually write lyrics for songs so I often write poetry from this mindset), so it's a bit awkward to look at when one judges it from a pure poetry standpoint.

If you're perfectly fine with those flaws then I wouldn't feel too shameful about posting some of the stuff I've written.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby Bragatyr » Sat Apr 12, '14, 2:54 am

I am probably the most nonjudgmental person I know, and I would like to see your poetry, at any rate, I think it's really interesting that you're into the Romantics and you actually know what meter is, so believe me, you're way ahead as far as I'm concerned, ha ha. I would at least like to try and see what your influences are and what kind of stuff you write, as a fellow poet.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby Hukos » Tue Apr 15, '14, 8:16 pm

Very well. But when I say "meter" I generally mean trying to line up stanzas with similar amounts of syllables. I know meter is actually more than that (I've tried writing in stuff like iambic pentameter and I just couldn't do it). Just so you don't get the wrong impression.

I know said you're open minded, but I think this merits a warning anyway. This particular piece is not meant to offend any Christians or religious people or be used as a means to attack their beliefs (It certainly disagrees with them, but there's a difference in that). It's more in the lines of social commentary than it is meant to attack others.

The whole idea behind the poem is people who use their position and their zealous nature to attack and intimidate others. They believe they're absolutely righteous with no room for disagreement. This doesn't necessarily need to reflect religion, it just so happens to because that's a pretty easy way to get the point across. Modern versions of this archetype can be a cop who doesn't realize they're abusing their powers very blatantly and still think they're in the right. Which is why it's called Blood Knight, an archetype that represents this type of character, going back to the middle ages.

Blood Knight:

He's patrolling the streets
He's got a mean streak

The symbol of law and order
His sword dispels any disorder
Armor stained from those beyond any border

Got 'em right where he wants them
Not that anyone could stop him

He's discovered the lovers
Their charge is adultery

He thinks he's truly right
That his might is really light
As as his duty as a knight

He swears he's seen the holy ghost
The true measure of his powers
Is what enables him the most
No one can say what he's seen is a hoax

Blind Faith - The measure of his awful power
His might is Holy - Up in his Ivory Tower

Blind Faith - The measure of his terror
His cause righteous - There is no error

For those who are of good and just kin:
Blind Faith is but a terrible sin
It's just the devil's plaything
Last edited by Hukos on Tue Apr 15, '14, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Apr 15, '14, 9:08 pm

Interesting and excellent poem Hukos. I like it. You have a good talent for poetry. :)
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Tue Apr 15, '14, 9:36 pm

HUKOS : excellent poetry and excellent work ! Keep up :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Apr 17, '14, 1:34 am

Cool stuff, Hukos, always nice to see a fellow poet's work, I really like the use of rhyme and the rhythmic awareness. I can definitely see that you have musical lyrics in mind with this one, too.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Thu Apr 17, '14, 10:04 pm

Th use of Rhyme is impressive ! And I'll never be able to put rhyme like this as aneglish isn't m motehr tongue :( (But it's the same in french ! :lol: ) : I was never very gifted with poetic talent but I'm happy to see that some people are :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Apr 18, '14, 2:20 am

myau, I was actually going to ask you if there's any French poetry you like (or even Spanish, I know you have an interest in the other Romance languages, too), I know there's some good French poetry out there (Baudelaire comes to mind).
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Next

Return to Leapin' Library