Jedi Police Use the Force

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Jedi Police Use the Force

Postby Srijita » Thu Apr 16, '09, 8:37 pm

Here's one of the latest items from BBC News. It has emerged that eight police officers serving with Scotland's largest force listed their official religion as Jedi in voluntary diversity forms.

BBC News: Force is strong for Jedi police

What else can one say? May the Force be with them! :proposetoast:
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Re: Jedi Police Use the Force

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Apr 16, '09, 10:28 pm

LoL, yes I agree, may the force be with them. :wink:

Srijita, thanks for posting that story and link. I found that to be a very interesting story. I hadn't heard that there were real people using the Jedi religion, but somehow it is not all that surprising to me. :yaknow:

I don't know what to think of them grouping all these people in the atheists category, though, just because there is not a category for them. To me, the premise of Jedi religion (light side versus the dark side) somehow seems to fit in another category, but I suppose it's up to them to decide in their own country.
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 17, '09, 12:23 am

I always find it interesting to see how many people list "Jedi" as their religion on a census. It is unfortunate that the various governments usually consider it a joke or false information. That may be true for some people, but I bet a number of them actually do follow a Jedi like faith.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Srijita » Sun Apr 19, '09, 5:53 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote: I don't know what to think of them grouping all these people in the atheists category, though, just because there is not a category for them. To me, the premise of Jedi religion (light side versus the dark side) somehow seems to fit in another category...

... my thoughts exactly, and the article that Thoul cites lends further support to this view:

At least one Universal Life Church congregation and three real independent churches based on the Jedi religion exist.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Tweeg » Mon Jun 8, '09, 2:13 pm

Wasn't Jedi the most popular religion in Australia the last time they took their national census?
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby GhostVoices » Sat Jun 27, '09, 7:32 pm

Tweeg wrote:Wasn't Jedi the most popular religion in Australia the last time they took their national census?

I don't know about that...but I would totally move there if it was true! :mrgreen:

But yeah, there seem to be a number of new religions based off concepts taken from Star Wars or Star Trek. Anyone else remember Church Of The Vulcan or whatever it was called?
http://astralvoidrecords.blogspot.com For the best in Music,Games,Movies, Books, and more!
GhostVoices
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 28, '09, 10:30 pm

Church Of The Vulcan? I haven't heard of that one. What's their foundation, logic above all else or something like that?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Darkil » Mon Jun 29, '09, 1:46 pm

I heard of the Jedi religion for sure, but I haven't heard of Trekkies going so far as to create a religion based on Trek. I too wonder of the C.O.V demonstrates logic above all else...
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby GhostVoices » Mon Jul 6, '09, 1:35 am

Thoul wrote:Church Of The Vulcan? I haven't heard of that one. What's their foundation, logic above all else or something like that?

Yeah, to let logic dictate their actions instead of emotions... which is actually a fairly plausible idea to follow, since it means we won't be letting anger or anything else mess with our judgment.
http://astralvoidrecords.blogspot.com For the best in Music,Games,Movies, Books, and more!
GhostVoices
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 8

Return to Casual Conversation