Things you hate doing in games you like

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Things you hate doing in games you like

Postby S4Blade » Thu May 8, '14, 12:12 pm

What are some things that you hate doing in games you like?

I have one that doesn't pertain to a specific game, but an entire genre. I love playing MMO games, but I absolutely hate crafting. If MMOs become too crafting centric then I usually stop playing them. I hate having to find recipes, I hate having to search for ingredients, and I hate having to combine them all to make items. It just seems so tedious to me. I would prefer getting items from enemy drops, or buying them from vendors.

While I am having a blast playing S4 League again. I do hate waiting in lobbies for players to join. This is mostly on the US servers. The European servers are always busy, and if I wait too long on the US servers I will usually jump to the European servers for my fix. Strangely enough I don't get any lag when playing on the European servers.
Last edited by S4Blade on Thu May 8, '14, 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Things you hate doing in games you like

Postby myau56 » Thu May 8, '14, 12:25 pm

There isn't a lot of things I don't like to do in games I like BUT espacially in RPG I'm a bit tired about random encounters and battles ! Even if I srill love RPG ! Vista, I know you don't like RPG anymore ^^
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu May 8, '14, 2:36 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with dueling in Red Dead Redemption. Every time I THINK I've figured out how it works, I get creamed in the next duel. Now, it wouldn't be a western without duels. However, if I remember correctly, there's only 2-3 duels in the story, but random people will challenge you at anytime, but you can turn those down.

I'm also not a big fan of the digging mazes in Okami.

And that sniper section in The Last of Us can burn in a grease fire.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Fri May 9, '14, 12:28 am

myau56 wrote:There isn't a lot of things I don't like to do in games I like BUT espacially in RPG I'm a bit tired about random encounters and battles ! Even if I srill love RPG ! Vista, I know you don't like RPG anymore ^^

It's not that I don't like them. I just got burned out on them, and I feel like I needed to take a long break from them. I still have a few RPGs in my collection that I plan on playing someday.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby Bragatyr » Fri May 9, '14, 4:57 am

Random encounters can definitely get annoying, even in my favorite RPGs (still like the system, but I don't like high encounter rates or unrunnable battles) but climbing up stairs is always a nightmare in Castlevania and collecting crap is always annoying in just about anything, especially adventure games and the like.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby S4Blade » Fri May 9, '14, 10:17 am

Bragatyr wrote:Random encounters can definitely get annoying, even in my favorite RPGs (still like the system, but I don't like high encounter rates or unrunnable battles) but climbing up stairs is always a nightmare in Castlevania and collecting crap is always annoying in just about anything, especially adventure games and the like.

Do you mean the Clock Tower areas in the Castlevania games? Usually with the Medusa heads.

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Fri May 9, '14, 12:22 pm

Yes, the stairs in many Castlevania'a are a bit boring sometimes ! But at last they are not very numerous so no problem for me :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri May 9, '14, 2:01 pm

VistaBlade wrote:
myau56 wrote:There isn't a lot of things I don't like to do in games I like BUT espacially in RPG I'm a bit tired about random encounters and battles ! Even if I srill love RPG ! Vista, I know you don't like RPG anymore ^^

It's not that I don't like them. I just got burned out on them, and I feel like I needed to take a long break from them. I still have a few RPGs in my collection that I plan on playing someday.

And this why today I can STILL play EarthBound. There are no random encounters, you can see all the enemy sprites on the map, and it adds an interesting element just wandering the world, so you can try to get around battles or give yourself an advantage. Such a simple thing, but it's SO much better than the random encounter.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby PathfinderCS » Sat May 10, '14, 11:40 pm

If there is one thing I can name, that would be pointless story-related back-tracking. Now if there is a purpose that I can at least grasp on to, I don't mind it too much. I never had such a complaint in Skyrim, but Kingdoms of Amalur had one such mission where I had to find these freakin' relics to open a door to a cave/dungeon. Granted Amalur is fairly forgiving in it's difficulty, but it doesn't really feel any less annoying.

Amalur is still a great game overall.
"I'd say the sky's the limit!" - Spyro
PathfinderCS
Agent
Agent

Location: With the stars, sailing the blackness of the universe.
Achievements: 20

Postby Bragatyr » Sun May 11, '14, 4:19 am

VistaBlade wrote:
Bragatyr wrote:Random encounters can definitely get annoying, even in my favorite RPGs (still like the system, but I don't like high encounter rates or unrunnable battles) but climbing up stairs is always a nightmare in Castlevania and collecting crap is always annoying in just about anything, especially adventure games and the like.

Do you mean the Clock Tower areas in the Castlevania games? Usually with the Medusa heads.

Those are definitely annoying, but as long as I can jump freely I'm usually more or less fine with them. It's those infernal long stairs that get me, like on one of the later levels in Castlevania III (it's the only level with the song Riddle, and it has a waterfall, that's all I know, ha ha). Medusa heads are annoying, but they're a lot more annoying when you're stuck and immobile on some ungodly staircase.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Next

Return to General Gaming