Japan tragedies

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Japan tragedies

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Mar 13, '11, 7:50 pm

Japan has now lost about 10,000 to death as a result of the recent earthquake and tsunami there, and resulting aftermath problems, etc. There have also been worries regarding the nuclear reactors there.:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/ ... earthquake

Our thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to the people of Japan during this tragedy. :grouphug:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Japan tragedies

Postby tilinelson2 » Sun Mar 13, '11, 9:11 pm

I´m sad, specially because I know people who live there and many friends have relatives living in Japan as well.

Even if I didn´t, it would be sad nonetheless, but it is worse when I can see friends sad and worried about what had just happened.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby Xander » Sun Mar 13, '11, 10:41 pm

True. It's a sad tragedy this one. I know Japan has endured its share of quakes and such for so long as it to be normal, but this one is turning out to be a real horrible one. I heard 10,000 people have gone missing from one of the coastal towns. :/
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Lucas » Mon Mar 14, '11, 8:37 am

It's quite shocking I think the world has really gone through enough this year, New Zealand recently had an earthquake too but of course it wasn't as destructive as the one that hit Japan. I feel sorry for all those who have had to deal with the situation and have lost loved ones.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 14, '11, 4:16 pm

This is truly a horrible tragedy. It's been a very long time since the world has seen an event that directly impacted so many lives. With thousands already dead or missing, on might think it couldn't get much worse. However, there is still more danger because nuclear power plants were damaged and are in threat of meltdowns. The Japanese economy is being devastated just as much as the populace, too. The living situation is going to be very difficult over there for a good while to come.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby xellos667 » Mon Mar 14, '11, 6:34 pm

Maybe its because of our gaming/anime sub-culture, but I'm really shocked by what is happening in Japan right now. Like I was directly concerned (even wrote to my contact in Japan to know if he was alright). In comparaison, more than during the Haiti earthquake (I know, it's bad because both tragedy are important, and we shouldn't quantify the importance we think one have over another...but I feel closer to the Japanese culture than the Haiti one).

But even at the job, I have a page following the events of Japan minute by minute to know if something bad have happened there. This whole nuclear tension is really scary...
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Mar 15, '11, 4:11 am

I read a very interesting article about how the recent earthquake and tsunami tragedies in japan had affected the planet overall. It seems Japan has actually moved several feet closer to the US due to these events, etc. It is really astounding how all this has happened and changed events, etc.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... the-planet
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 15, '11, 12:27 pm

If anyone wants to help out:

http://american.redcross.org/site/PageS ... ateSection

I donated last night. There's a lot of non-profits and relief organizations working in Japan right now to help out, besides the Red Cross. Either way, every little bit helps.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Tue Mar 15, '11, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby xellos667 » Tue Mar 15, '11, 2:47 pm

I'm continuing to follow the news over there minute by minute. It seems the new explosions of this morning have now put even Tokyo on an above normal Radiation level. It's still not at a level where it can affect human live, but if things don't get under control soon, the worse is to come. My contact in Japan say everything is fine....but it seems the governement of Japan try to say the situation is not at a Tchernobyl level yet, while the authority on the Nuclear Energy Secutiry say that the threat is at Level 6 (out of 7 possible Level), putting it close to something that could become a new Tchernobyl...it's really a scary story....

And Silver_Surfer1, your article was REALLY interresting. To think an earthquake can have such an impact on the entire planet!!!
Last edited by xellos667 on Tue Mar 15, '11, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 15, '11, 6:11 pm

A very good article on this:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... rreaction/

It's a serious situation, but there's a lot of crap floating around. It's a bad enough situation without exaggerating it to be worse.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Next

Return to Casual Conversation