Japan tragedies

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Japan tragedies

Postby xellos667 » Tue Mar 15, '11, 7:18 pm

I only listen to the AIEA report, and the European comission created around the situation, which are the best groups to evaluate the situation outside the country (since Japan government itself try to minimalizing the importance of the situation by saying everything is still fine, not to worry), and a few hours ago, they said that the Nuclear Central have reached an "apocalyptic" level. That it's almost out of control, and the Japanese authority have no clue on how to handle the situation. That we should expect the worse in the following hours or days.

Even the person who wrote your article needed to update it saying that there might be contradiction with her text in front of the new developpement. Yeah some people can say a lot of stupid things, but I don't think the Official International Comitee for Nuclear Energy will try to BS us on the situation
Last edited by xellos667 on Tue Mar 15, '11, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 15, '11, 7:23 pm

Do you mean the IAEA? The gentleman (Phil Plait) who wrote the article I linked is following them as well and has linked them several times on his facebook page, as well as called out his own errors there. He's disclaimed his article several times that things continue to develop, etc. I think what he's trying to do is basically point out that there's a lot of speculation and hogwash out there about this. He says MANY times it's a serious situation.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Tue Mar 15, '11, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 15, '11, 7:58 pm

It's good to see someone cutting through some of the speculation and rumors floating around. Blowing the facts out of proportion doesn't help anyone. The nuclear situation could change for better or worse at any moment, so any article needs to be read with that in mind. Let's hope they can keep pumping in that sea water and get the inside of the reactors cooled down.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 15, '11, 8:01 pm

Another good article explaining some of the science and such behind this.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... D_20110315

Saw this one on Michael Shermer's facebook page.

Still a very serious situation, beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby xellos667 » Tue Mar 15, '11, 8:04 pm

Yes, it may be the name of the organization in english (I'm indeed reading all the reports from news website). If we can't believe those people, who can we believe? Will we just watch the situation? Already, many of the population in Japan are angry against the government for not having asked sooner for more help because they could not take care of the situation. Yes there's a lot of speculation, but there's no denying that the situation is really at its worse right now. If the flooding they're planning to do does not work, what other solution will there be.

But thanks for the new link, I'm going to read it in detail right away.
Last edited by xellos667 on Tue Mar 15, '11, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 15, '11, 8:14 pm

It's a good link, for sure. The thing I'm reading is the International Atomic Energy Agency (http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsu ... ate01.html) and I'd call it a very trustworthy source on just general news, but there's plenty of other good sources for more thorough analysis. The people of Japan have every right to be angry at the government for being so incompetent in dealing with this, there's no question. But, there is still no reason for people to make this worse by spreading sensationalist hogwash online.

And no, you don't have to just watch the situation. There are a ton of organizations already trying to provide some relief to the people of Japan - the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity, I could go on and on. If you want to help, donate money to some agency providing relief effort. I posted a link in this thread to the Red Cross's donation page.

Wolf Bird

Postby xellos667 » Tue Mar 15, '11, 8:25 pm

Yes I saw that link too (for the donation). And while it will help the people indeed, unfortunately, the real thing to deal with right now (and it's truly unfortunate. At least for the next day or two) is not the people indeed but really the Nuclear threat. Yes now they have called for help, but it should have been Day 1 after the Plant shutdown because of the Tsunami.

ANd yes, we're reading info from the same organization, like I said, it was just the French spelling. While no one can know the absolute true of what will happen, they're in the best position to predict the potential risk IMHO.

I'm wondering though. The people in Japan are really wonderful, being able to live in this situation while showing civism toward everyone in need, and not panicking yet. Imagine a situation like that would happen near where you live? What will you try to do? Will you try to leave the country by all mean, or stay where you are for better or for worse?

Maybe I'm the frighten type, but I'll be sure to try everything in my power to go as far away as possible of the risk zone with my loved ones until the situation gets under control. But thats just me.
Last edited by xellos667 on Wed Mar 16, '11, 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Mar 16, '11, 1:01 pm

Well I'll answer your question. :) I'd stay where I am. For several reasons - for one, no real way for me to get out and go elsewhere. *shrug.* But for another, to help other people! As part of my AmeriCorps program, I've received some disaster response training and I'd use it if I have to.

Wolf Bird

Postby xellos667 » Wed Mar 16, '11, 1:02 pm

The helicopter that tried to drop water on the Power Plant failed to go near the place because of the high level of radio-activity. They're now trying to do it with Water Cannon...but at this point, it seems pretty much hopeless...I'm really sad to say that but, according to many official group checking the situation, the worse is really about to come. I'll pray for the people around there, because they will need it. As of now, no method have worked to control the situation, and flooding the reactor was one of the last solution possible, and they can't even go near it...
xellos667
Android
Android

Postby Thoul » Wed Mar 16, '11, 8:38 pm

Imagine a situation like that would happen near where you live? What will you try to do? Will you try to leave the country by all mean, or stay where you are for better or for worse?

I'd probably try to get out of the danger zone if possible. I don't have training for helping during a disaster situation, so I'd probably just be in the way of people who do. I would rather stay close to home, but in a worse case scenario I'd hop in the car and go.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation